"C-Time" Tuna Trip - 24 Jun 09

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
"C-Time" got underway from our slip at Harbor Walk at 0400, with Chuck and Jim joining (Admiral) Cathy and me. Cleared Little Creek Inlet and set the course for the Norfolk Canyon. Moderate swell from the ENE slowed us and it was almost four hours until lines in.

Made a loop through the Canyon, exiting at the southeast corner and trolling south at 100-180 fathoms. Covered the area from the 525 down the 430, finding most of our action between the 475-500.

Had about 20 knockdowns total. A few didn't come tight. Had half-a-dozen that we slung onboard, verified as "short" and tossed back. Lost two nice fish - one that we didn't see due to tackle failure and one alongside when the line hit the chine.

I even got to catch a fish - a rare event. Only happened because we had three go down and everyone was on a line while I was clearing the others. They another hit, so I put on the standup gear and had some fun. It was the largest fish that we boated.

We quit a 2pm, got lines in, cleaned up and headed home. Back to Little Creek in three hours from 75nm out, so a nice ride in.

Total for the day:
4 YFT between 28"-30"
1 YFT a bit bigger
2 nicer YFT - weighed one at 40-7.

We're all old folks (except for Cathy), so we need a rest before we go do this again..

Some pics:

Bloody deck!
IMG_0796.jpg

My tuna - a rare opportunity
IMG_0798.jpg

Happy Captain
IMG_0800.jpg

Crew & Catch
IMG_0802.jpg

My fish
IMG_0804.jpg

Brian

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nice trip guys!!! Glad you had fun and put some meat in the box. Also god to hear the tuna are right on schedule working their way north instead of a funky pattern like last season. We were able to put an 80lb class bft in the boat Sat on the way back in from sharking. Had schools all over on top in the Mud Hole off NJ.