Cabin cushion recover

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Time to recover the cabin cushions on my ‘99 226. Quote is for Sunbrella Marine Interior, my choice of color. There’s like 370 different colors for that fabric. Originally I had figured basic Navy Blue, serviceable and hides dirt, but thought I’d throw it out there if anybody else has any suggestions on a better color.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Time to recover the cabin cushions on my ‘99 226. Quote is for Sunbrella Marine Interior, my choice of color. There’s like 370 different colors for that fabric. Originally I had figured basic Navy Blue, serviceable and hides dirt, but thought I’d throw it out there if anybody else has any suggestions on a better color.
It's all personal preference, of course.

But, I recovered in a medium gray vinyl with dark blue piping. I figured vinyl was the easiest to keep clean (and less expensive, too). I did increase the thickness of the foam to 4" and went with a medium density foam to avoid "bottoming out" when sleeping on them.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Having my 2003 Gulfstream interior cushions done now. Using a light blue Sunbrella in/out fabric, but not marine grade since these are interior. Original quote was $1700 for labor and material. I found the material online for $25/yd, so paying $275 for material, and $775 for labor.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I don't remember the manufacturer, but this is supposed to be an RV/marine interior fabric we are having done. The cushion bottoms will be mesh like the originals. It doesn't show in these photos, but the base color is a similar beige to curtains and original fabric.

20220103_140543.jpg

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had mine done by a local shop and had them done in Sunbrella last year. The original material used by GW was a mildew magnet. The new stuff has never had a touch of mildew and clean-up is simple with a damp cloth. Well worth the extra bucks for Sunbrella marine material. I used Sunbrella Sail Cloth Sahara and they look great. The Sahara is a light tan and goes with the interior of the Sailfish Cabin

Attachments

• Sunbrella Sahara.jpeg
    Sunbrella Sahara.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 14

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That looks nice. Might have to consider that color instead of blue. Might make the cabin look a bit brighter as well. Rlloyd, my quote came just around where yours was, $1,600 using the existing foam ( nobody sleeps aboard…well, maybe once when the wife and I had a bit of a disagreement), marine interior Sunbrella and marine grade zippers. Local person who did a very nice job on my cockpit bolsters last year.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, you guys made me smile, so thank you! I paid $600 (including a center cushion) and that was WITH the more expensive, and brand new, foam. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keeldad

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd like a marine fabric as opposed to vinyl as there is enough of the latter in the cockpit and helm areas and if you do put a sheet down for sleeping it is more likely to stay put. It def is a personal preference.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I did mine in a denim like fabric from Sailrite. So far it has performed flawlessly. Soft hand.
$16.95/yard.

Interior 1.jpeg Interior 2.jpeg

Reactions: family affair

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My cabin cushions are the last pieces of my rehab on my 228. The cushion on port side has taken the brunt of the sun and wear and tear. It is beginning to rip in places if you push on it. Will look into places around me to see about having them redone next winter, may have to take them down to Charleston for a true marine upholstery shop. It wasn't in the best shape when I bought it, but it has made it this far. I like the tan pattern of family affairs cushions. Will still go with the pads around the cabin.

20170502_212944_copy_2656x1494.jpg20170426_170432_copy_2656x1494.jpg

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
KY, I have a substantial amount of fabric left, but likely not enough to redo all your cushions. Let me know if you would like a piece of fabric to check out in person and I can send some to you.

Reactions: Ky Grady

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Here's how mine turned out for my 232. Original was one of the beigish patterns typical of boats and RV's.

IMG_3831 (1).jpg

Reactions: family affair

Keeldad

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I agreed to the price, selected my fabric and asked when I could drop off the cushions and deposit. That back in Feb. Haven’t heard anything yet. This is a reliable local person who has done work for me before but she is really busy. Maybe I should have started this process in the fall. Might have to muddle through another season with worn, ripped cushions. Oh well, could be worse.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After getting inspiration from Family Affair, I had my cabin cushions redone. They turned out great! Can't wait to get them back in the boat. Nice refresh for sure. Had to change up the color some, supposedly the brown color pattern was no longer available, so went with a gray with silver and black striping. Should go well with my storm gray over black SeaDek on the floor.

20220505_142237_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After getting inspiration from Family Affair, I had my cabin cushions redone. They turned out great! Can't wait to get them back in the boat. Nice refresh for sure. Had to change up the color some, supposedly the brown color pattern was no longer available, so went with a gray with silver and black striping. Should go well with my storm gray over black SeaDek on the floor.

View attachment 25773
Those look awesome, I still have the original fabric on my 1999 228 Seafarer for now but they are getting faded..

Attachments

• FF46EFCD-8B53-40CE-A788-56657BBFA2E5.jpeg
    FF46EFCD-8B53-40CE-A788-56657BBFA2E5.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 18

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Looks amazing KY!
Don, I had the same fabric in our 99 Voyager. If this new stuff makes it half as long, I'll be happy.
I didn't realize I had a before photo till recently. This was taken and sent to me from the previous owner.
IMG_1935.jpg20220430_115046.jpg

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes I’m amazed how long the original fabric has lasted on my boat, I’ve only had the boat for the last 2 1/2 years. I did use the upholstery attachment on our Bissell carpet cleaner and shampooed them about 4 times when I first got the boat to clean them over the winter.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Both sets look nice. I'd get the most durable, stain and mildew resistant material I could. Labor is labor. I prob will do mine myself with the wife at the sewing machine of course...