Cabin hatch lock/lever mechanism

GW96

Reaction score
'96 Sailfish 27...the mechanism that you use to lock the cabin hatch up and then twist the knob to release snapped on me, won't release to I had to take it off. The plastic knob that you turn to release snapped internally so you can't get it to release now.

Where would I find one of them as a replacement? Are they still made new and can they be bought from Grady?

Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not overly familiar with Grady's, yet, but am very familiar with boats in general (I work at a marina). Can you post a picture? I'm also wondering if you can "easy out" the broken stud and then just get a new knob from a place like McmasterCarr. Some local hardware stores (not big box stores) often have knobs like that, too.

GW96

Reaction score
Nothing to drill out, it's a plastic stem that is attached to a handle, you turn the handle and the stem turns the mechanism to unlock the hatch so it can be lowered. The stem cracked off and is down inside the locking/unlocking/slide mechanism.

GW96

Reaction score
Been trying to find this for a while now. Spoke with Grady who told me that it was a part that was sourced from Perko originally and gave me the discontinued Perko part #, told me to call Perko to see if there was a newer part #. Called Perko and all they did was tell me that the part # was discontinued....Huge help. They asked if I checked their website and being that it's 2014 of course I did, the only thing they have for any kind of hatch adjuster is one part and you can tell form the picture it won't work.

It seems next to impossible to find a replacement for this hatch adjuster, unless I can somehow find someone parting out and Grady with a similar adjuster. I found one at a local marine store that is a type of universal but it's a bit too long. I may try to install it in the aft part of the hatch as it won't fit on the port side where the original was mounted, not sure if it will hold the weight of the hatch if mounted that way though.

I just wanted to see if anyone has replaced one of these before and if so what did you use? If you replaced with an original part, how did you find it?

Thanks.