Cabin Interior Renovation

fastal

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a thread somewhere addressing this but here goes. Due to a cabin leak I need to replace the carpet like material that lines the interior of my 92 sailfish. Has anyone done this before? Cost? Does anyone have any ideas of any other options. If you have pics of any interior renovations that have been done I would appreciate seeing them...thanks!

bhemi

Reaction score
It's not a bad job

I did the entire top half of my cabin ('92 Marlin). The carpet stuff is affectionately known as "monkey fur". It's a available by the yard from any decent size marine supplier. I have also seen it on eBay.

Get an extra pair of hands and a can of 3M spray adhesive. Spray the cabin wall or roof with a nice even coat and lay out the material. Remove the wrinkles but don't over stretch it as it has very little strength. Stretch it out and smooth it with your hand as you feed it into the corners. Cut off the excess with a box cutter. I did my boat in a few hours once the old material was taken out. It's a little tedious but about a 3 out of 10 on the difficulty meter. It's all a sort of beige colour and getting a close match is not hard if you don't want to do it all.

Renegade

Reaction score
yeah, so would I. I am restoring an 83 204 overnighter. I'm considering taking the overhead liner out and painting, but I'm not sure how much insulation, and/or sound deadening properties it has, or how much I need for that matter. I have already ripped out the carpet from the helm and in the process of redoing the glasswork without carpet. Cuddy is next up.

Grady_Boy

Reaction score
carpet

I am planning on doing the same thing to my 226. I looked online and found that cabelas and west marine had great deals on the carpet in tons of diffrent colors and material. The one thing that I have heard is to be careful what adhesive is used. Some I hear wont set up in some situations so read reviews about it first. Also, vent the area for the fumes. I've heard that they can get pretty bad in the cabin during the process. One other tip I have also heard that there is a new product that is a sythetic teak that works great. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
I was thinking that there could be another option. What about the material that is used in a headliner of a car? I think you can get the stuff in sizable sheets and sew it if needed. It may be a nicer alternative to the fur stuff.....

Renegade

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know of anyone who has just removed the fur and went to paint or whatever. It doesn't seem like it would be much difference in noise, as not much chance of staying in the cuddy much when steaming, maybe it has some insulation value from the summer sun? Anyone know?

bdevlin5983

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also am in the process of getting prepared to do this in the next couple of weeks with my cabin. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has taken off the "monkey fur" and replaced what the condition of the underlying "ceiling" was. Is it something that would look nice if painted, or is it a completely unfinished surface that must be covered with some type or carpeting...?

Bren

busterblue

Reaction score
89 Sailfish

Same problem, leaky cabin front windows-> mildewy monkey fur.
started to pullout the monkey fur intending to just paint the ceiling and walls with a high gloss- way too difficult, lots of glue and the result was a very nasty surface left behind that was not paintable.

Solution, glued it back in place and sprayed 50/50 bleach/water solution on the stained fur. took 3 applications in some places but it killed al the spore and took out all the stains. Looks like a new headliner.

To prevent recurrence i pulled the cabin front windows, replaced the glass with tinted safety glass put alot of attention into reseating the glass in the frame and the frames in the hull -big wide bead of silicone around frame - which I trimmed back only after it had fully cured.

i'm rebuilding the port bulkhead now, but that's another story.

richie rich

Reaction score
BusterBlue,
when you sprayed 50/50 water and bleach, did you wet vac it off or use a carpet cleaner attachment of somekind? How bad was the bleach odor afterwards?

busterblue

Reaction score
I used a garden sprayer and saturated the fur and left it on and let it dry with the hatches and windows open. The smell dissipates. I used a scented bleach - spring blossom or some such thing, definately smelled better than mildew and pogies. I think the bleach residue helps control the regrowth.

Sailfish25

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I gutted both a 1990 20 and a 1990 sailfish interior. Removed all the material and I used contact cement and a good outdoor type carpeting. I've had the sailfish 10 years since doing it and it still looks great.