Cabin: Plastic Headliner cracks

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I do not see why the fix for the liner can't be done any where. I had them repair mine when I left it at the dealer for the winter.

mronzo

Reaction score
I have a 6-7" crack in my '00 265 cabin liner as well.
I always assumed it was because the previous owner smashed something into it ! There are no signs of structural damage to the hull to suggest it was smashed from the boat hitting something. The expansion/contractioncracking due to a bad mix makes sense.

I'm wondering if GW would do anything for me if I contacted them?

Fishtales

Reaction score
This is a common problem where temperature changes are great.
The thin plastic cover is secured to the fiberglass deck. Depending on the stress due to the temperature changes, the headliner can crack.
My 282 had this issue. Once it works itself out, have the dealer repair. They use plastic and a heat gun of some sort, when done it looks ok, but if you know where to look you can tell it has been repaired.

My 300 will get checked this year before I splash, no problem yet, if so I'm sure GW/Dealer will address.

Bottom line, no biggie; easy repair and better than monkey fur...

Bill_N

Reaction score
I agree with Fishtales in that it has something to do with expansion and contraction. I looked at a bunch of 265's last years. Some had cracked headliners, and some didn't. Mine wasn't cracked last year but when I got down in the cabin this spring there is a crack over the bathroom door about 6" lomg. We'll see if it grows.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Spoke to Grady White today... they will work with my dealer to fix the problem at my marina and at my convenience. You guys are right about being temperature and expansion/contraction related... Grady told me they seldom see this problem on southern boats.

mronzo... I'd call Grady if I were you... nothing to lose.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Cabin Headliner Crack

I looked at this post and it seems GW took care of problem if it was in warranty. My Marlin is a 2004 and I just noticed a crack about 3 inches long near the head enclosure.

Anyone had experience with GW fixing outside the 5 year period?

thanks,

Ed

Oriole

Reaction score
headliner crack

Grady will fix it outside the five year period. My 2005 265 developed her's this past spring so it doesn't seem right that there was a year where the composite wasn't right. Happens alot in 265's. Like others have said, the dealer can fix it and hopefully it doesn't show up again.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: headliner crack

Oriole said:
Grady will fix it outside the five year period. My 2005 265 developed her's this past spring so it doesn't seem right that there was a year where the composite wasn't right. Happens alot in 265's. Like others have said, the dealer can fix it and hopefully it doesn't show up again.

Same case with me... they fixed it well after the warranty period.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Yep, Grady White said no problem. Atlantic Marine is taking care of it.

thanks everyone!

Ed