Cabin port gaskets (both sides) on Gulfstream

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Both windows/ports leak into the cabin when sprayed. They are Bomar/Pompanette models. They have 3 'dogs' that, when closed, keep pressure on the gasket on the glass. The gasket is probably original and 20+ years old (and has lost its elasticity). GW tried to find a source, but with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? If I were to find a whole window, anyone know how it is installed? Is it via fiberglassing it in, or bolted (?). I may end up caulking and making it a stationary (no openable) window. Some pics are attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240114_170714[1].jpg
    20240114_170714[1].jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240114_170631[1].jpg
    20240114_170631[1].jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 11

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would go right to the source and contact Pompanette directly. They can tell you if a replacement gasket is still available and give a part number. Maybe you can even buy it directly from them? Go to their website and look at the various portlights - or go right to their contact us page.

However, before you do that... clean that rubber REALLY well and apply a couple coats of 303 protectant. Then snug the dogs down a little tighter using that screw. That will cause the dogs to compress the rubber more.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I would go right to the source and contact Pompanette directly. They can tell you if a replacement gasket is still available and give a part number. Maybe you can even buy it directly from them? Go to their website and look at the various portlights - or go right to their contact us page.

However, before you do that... clean that rubber REALLY well and apply a couple coats of 303 protectant. Then snug the dogs down a little tighter using that screw. That will cause the dogs to compress the rubber more.
I will contact Pompannette for sure. I have tried a couple times but usually at the end of the day East Coast time (I'm in California). I haven't figured out how to add additional pressure on the glass; the hinges don't seem to have any adjustment to add pressure. I did add some tape at each dog, thinking the additional thickness will help add pressure. It hasn't worked that way, at least not yet. I like the idea of using 303 to clean up the rubber, I'll try that as well. Thanks!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They have probably been closed, and compressed, for 99% of their life, and the gaskets have lost their elasticity. Can you see a trail where the water actually leaks by the gasket, and eliminate to possibility that it is leaking where the frame is bedded in the fiberglass?
If you could remove the gasket without damage, and really clean and reconditin it, as Dennis suggested, it may 'rebound' enough to stop leaking.
Or, it looks symmetrical, and is probably more compressed on the bottom, dogged down edge, so maybe rotating it 180* would help. Or, reinstall it with some 3M 2 sided tape as a shim underneath. Or, add a mm or 2 of stick on gasket to the glass side.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the great ideas, I haven't contacted Pomponette, yet. In the meantime, I am going to clean up the existing gasket (it HAS lost a lot of its elasticity).