Cabin Rod Holder Rubber Bands

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, I did some searching and didn't find a thing on this.

Looking for a source to get those rubber bands....maybe called something else and why I can't find them that are used on the cabin rod holders.

They are round with a tab that you pull on to lock down the rods so they don't bounce out.

I know someone has found these and how to get them?

seasick

Reaction score
I took the old ones apart.The ends are two pieces sort of wedged together. I then used latex surgical tubing that I bought at a tackle shop. I don't rememeber the diameter. I stuck small lenghths of wooden dowels ( I actually used BBS sqewers) into the end to make it solid and snapped everything together. Alittle adhesive helps too.

antaris

Reaction score
Call GW, i got some spare parts at better prices than ebay straight from GW merchant!

bc282

Reaction score
aren't these just thinner bungy cord with crimps and with extra crimps to form loops for fingers? (you can just put a knot instead of crimps too).
any marine chandler store will have bulk bungy and crimps, just find the color and size of cord you like.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did find those on Ebay also. $24 is not horrible, but not great. Also not sure how old those are and as they are rubber, likelly they won't last a year. Starting to think along the lines of the surgical tubing. I found some yesterday in Ace, but it was a very large diameter. I think if I could find some small like aquarium tubing, would be better, but not sure if they make surgical tubing that small.

The silicone aquarium airline tubing doesn't stretch well enough or as good as the surgical, so think surgical is the ticket. Being that you can stick them together in a closed loop with a dowel of some sort is nice, but guess will have to figure out how to make it stick to the back side of the "J". Somehow, the originals are stuck on the back of the "J", so must be just some contact cement I would think. One I played with just came off with little effort.

Bungee is ok too, but not sure how to connect it to make a loop without a big knot. But, maybe the knot can be on the backside of the "J". Wondering if I can make a loop around the back of the "J" to make it stay and then a larger loop to pull over the rod? Hmmm.

Great stuff to ponder on.........

Enough Already

Reaction score
I re-did all of mine with cheap parts from my GW dealer. You just get two retainer rings, one end for screw down and one end with a hook. Cut round black band to length and install the ends. You can do each one for less than $5 if you want to stay OEM.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
That's what I did-used bulk bungy cord (West Marine and others sell by the foot) and a couple ss hog rings per. Hog ring at tab and then to connect the 2 ends together. If they cost me a quarter to 50 cents each, I'd be surprised. Plus, got color I wanted, as someone mentioned above.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
seasick, I took your idea on the latex surgical tubing. I also picked up some of the clear vinyl tubing, size to allow a tight fit slipping the latex tubing over it. Just cut a short piece of the clear tubing and using a dull pocket knife, was able to slide up inside the latex tubing and pinch to knife blade and pull up over the vinyl tubing.
Works like a charm! The latex also locks in the little slot in the back to hold them in place.

seasick

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
seasick, I took your idea on the latex surgical tubing. I also picked up some of the clear vinyl tubing, size to allow a tight fit slipping the latex tubing over it. Just cut a short piece of the clear tubing and using a dull pocket knife, was able to slide up inside the latex tubing and pinch to knife blade and pull up over the vinyl tubing.
Works like a charm! The latex also locks in the little slot in the back to hold them in place.
I am glad that works. I noticed yesterday, that the black surgical tubing is now mostly clear ( after a year or sun outside). No big deal but it was a surprise.