Cabin window leak

Jsevers51

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
2002 Marlin 300. The boat is new to me and I was told one of the cabin windows leak. To me it looks like both are leaking or at one time we’re leaking. It’s in my buddys shop and I haven’t been able to run water around them yet. Is this a common issue? If so how do you go about fixing them? This is my first Grady White. Thanks in advance!

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hey congrats on the new boat! Do a quick search in the search bar "cabin leak" and there's a few threads that should pop up. I haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet, but if I recall when researching it you had to remove the exterior trim and seal and clean everything out and replace the seal. Good luck and I'll be following to see how you come along.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Could try Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. Otherwise it might be a bigger project to reseal it well enough to last.

Jened1840

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On my 2007, I bought last year and found 1, the latches need to be clamped tight, that solved the leak at the seals for the part of the window that opens. On the starboard window that leaked around frame, I cleaned outside and using tape to keep caulk job clean, caulked around window using GE silicone II solved issues no further leaks and it has been through some big rain and rough water

Reactions: PointedRose

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
2002 Marlin 300. The boat is new to me and I was told one of the cabin windows leak. To me it looks like both are leaking or at one time we’re leaking. It’s in my buddys shop and I haven’t been able to run water around them yet. Is this a common issue? If so how do you go about fixing them? This is my first Grady White. Thanks in advance!
I just Purchased an 04 Marlin with a leak on the Port side window over the galley. It must have been leaking for many years as it ran down the window shelf dripped on the microwave rusting it completely and also rusted the Isotherm 49 fridge/frame. Looks like it is coming from the mid bottom seam in the aluminum frame as there a bunch of white corrosion. Have not torn it apart or found a solution yet but open to other’s ideas.
IMG_9092 2.jpeg

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Seems like it’s where you’ll have to take it apart and reseal it. The white corrosion is probably galvanic with a stainless screw on aluminum plus saltwater exposure or something like that. If its a screw, use a hand screwdriver rather than a drill - it’ll just strip it or break the head off. Can tap lightly with a hammer to ‘break’ the corrosion but do it lightly. White vinegar will help clean up the aluminum bracket, maybe acetone. Probably can use some rubber uchannel and sealant (lifecaulk, 5200) to reseal..tape off the areas to keep cleanup easy, can use a popsicle stick to get a close exterior seal/fillet to the window. Grady might be able to help with properly sized rubber uchannel. Capt tolleys creeping crack cure can help small leaks but seems like it’s time to take it apart and seal it up right to prevent future issues (mold). May need to use a metal scraper or utility knife to get through a prior seal taking out the window. May need to epoxy repair some of the area where the window sets in. Wear throwaway medical gloves, easy to get messy. Use cardboard and newspaper to keep the area clean.

TerpFish

Reaction score
This looks to be a common problem. Just discovering issues/projects on my 2004 Marlin and this port window has been leaking as well. It seems to just be where the window latches closed and not the frame. I tried to fill some gaps with marine grade silicone adhesive, and it's still leaking. Curious if I need to take the whole window out to repair the seal that the window meets when latching shut. Appreciate any tips or suggestions on where to get a replacement gasket, etc. Thanks!