Calling all 300 Marlin and 282 Sailfish Owners

Bama96

Reaction score
Is the data on the Grady site with the Yamaha F225s realistic? It shows 26mph cruise at 4000 rpms. 1.78 MPG on the Marlin. Is that close? Does this boat feel underpowered with the F225s? What about the 282 Sailfish? How does it compare in fuel burn to the Marlin? Thanks. :D

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I don't get 1.7 mpg at 4000 rpms or 26 mph. Depending on weather and load I get somewhere between 26 and 28 mph and 1.2 to 1.4 mpg. There are many many posts here about fuel burn/economy and analysis of the posted test results. Many factors affect the numbers: Is bottom painted or not; bimini up or down; curtains on or off or open; for or aft tank fill; generator or not, tank filled or not; water tank full or not; equipment on hard top (like radar, out riggers, antennae up). And who can foget prop size and engine placement. These are guidance numbers.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
One more thing, I don't think the boat is underpowered with 225's. Sure 250's would be nice, but how often do you run top end and what is a few seconds difference getting out of the hole?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've had both although my 272 was powered by 225EFIs and the 300 has F225s. I agree it is not underpowered. The F250s give you a little more top end and hole shot but I run fine. There was a discussion last week with several owners stating their fuel burn with four stroke Marlins. Try a search.

They are both great boats by the 300 > 282 just as the 330 > 300. It depends on your budget. :D

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Those numbers are just about right for my 282 Sailfish. I will cruise about 28 @ 4000, and get at least 1.7mpg. Trimmed out on a flat day, I have got 2.0 mpg or better, but those are not typical fishing days. That is with full fuel, 2 people, gear, bridge curtains in place, and running 15.25 x 19 SWS props. The boat came with those props, and they are a little over-propped. I just bought a pair a Power Tech 4 blade polished SS props, 15.25 x 16, and put them on. I am told by Power Tech that I will obtain better economy, but I bought them to get the WOT rpm's closer to optimum.

I am anxious to get some time on them to see how they do on top end, cruise speed, and fuel burn.

On edit: Those numbers are with the boat bottom-painted. My sig pic is from when I first bought her. She now sports ablative bottom paint, and is wet-slipped behind my house.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not to derail the thread, but I am curious Bill, why you are having trouble hitting the desired rpm with 19" props?

For the past few years I always assumed that a Marlin with twin 250hp would perform about the same as a Sailfish with twin 225hp (both four strokes or both two strokes). I also assumed that the Sailfish with 225s could swing the same 19" props as the Marlin with 250s. This is based on the numerous test reports I have read on the Grady website, this webiste, Yamaha website, magazie reviews, etc. I also assume to acheive these same speed and rpm numbers the Marlin would consume about fifteen percent more fuel.

I can spin my 15-1/4" x 19" SWS II props to 6100 rpm lightly loaded, and about 5800 rpm loaded to the gills. This is with pretty smooth bottom paint in calm salt water. For my needs, these props seem to be perfect.

If you have a Sailfish or Marlin, do you also have similar results with regard to max rpm?

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Scot, I don't remember the numbers it did from the sea-trials, but they were probably a little higher than after I bottom painted, brought water on board and loaded up the gear. I am topping out at 5500, and although that is right in the middle of Yamaha's recommended WOT (the manual says 5000-6000), I would like to see it a little higher.

I went over to the marina, and looked at about half dozen other 282's, and probably the same number of Marlins, to see what they were spinning.
All of the 282's had 15.25x17. All of the Marlins had 15.25x19. I decided to try a lower pitch, and was actually looking for a set of SWS 17's when I found out about Power Tech.

After talking with them, and others, I decided to try their 4 blade 16" pitch. If they don't work out, I can put the 19's back on, or buy a set of SWS 17's. I'll post back my findings when I can get some time on them.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about the Power Tech four blade props, especially for cruising range perfomance. I suppose I got lucky that the Marlin I purchased (used) came with the 'ideal' props for my boat. For my needs, the 19" props give me the tuna trolling speed I desire while sipping fuel, good cruising speed and range, and good top end for the sixty seconds a trip I am able to run wide open.

Keep us posted with your results.

Thanks

myprozac

Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I have heard good things about the Power Tech four blade props, especially for cruising range perfomance. I suppose I got lucky that the Marlin I purchased (used) came with the 'ideal' props for my boat. For my needs, the 19" props give me the tuna trolling speed I desire while sipping fuel, good cruising speed and range, and good top end for the sixty seconds a trip I am able to run wide open.

Keep us posted with your results.

Thanks

What #'s do you get. I have the same exact boat 2006 with 250's with bottom paint. At best I have seen 1.3-1.4 mpg crusing. Can I be getting better.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I pulled this form a thread I posted a few week ago. Boat is still on land. :( Boat is named KimberlyRyan after my two kids, perhaps I should re-name the boat "Softball/Baseball Game" instead!!! :D

No tower, 4' open array, full curtains, 24' outriggers, painted bottom, etc.

I have seen slightly over 1.5 statute miles per gallon on rare occasion while cruising around 4200 rpm at approximately 26 knots. While trolling offshore for tuna I have seen over 2.0 statute miles per gallon at approximately 7 knots @1600rpm. Based on memory from eight months ago, we average about 1.3 statute mpg on a canyon trip with a loaded boat. Like all boats, as the size of the waves increase the fuel economy decreases.

Hope this helps a little.

myprozac

Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
I pulled this form a thread I posted a few week ago. Boat is still on land. :( Boat is named KimberlyRyan after my two kids, perhaps I should re-name the boat "Softball/Baseball Game" instead!!! :D

No tower, 4' open array, full curtains, 24' outriggers, painted bottom, etc.

I have seen slightly over 1.5 statute miles per gallon on rare occasion while cruising around 4200 rpm at approximately 26 knots. While trolling offshore for tuna I have seen over 2.0 statute miles per gallon at approximately 7 knots @1600rpm. Based on memory from eight months ago, we average about 1.3 statute mpg on a canyon trip with a loaded boat. Like all boats, as the size of the waves increase the fuel economy decreases.

Hope this helps a little.

Hmm. I need to check my props. You get .2 better then me, and on my long runs 150 miles+ one way that makes a difference. 7knots with 2mpg is pretty good too.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death, but your bottom paint can make a significant difference, even at tuna trolling speeds. I have seen similar boats to ours with poor paint conditions or slight bottom growth loose close to 25% speed/efficiency. On an older Marlin top speed went from 42mph to approximately 33mph and max rpm went from 6000 to about 4900. We were amazed when we pulled the boat at how little growth there was (about 1/16" of 'fuzz').

Myprozak, where do you boat out of with runs like that? Do you have fuel isses or do you bring extra just in case? Our NJ canyons are about 75-90 nautical miles from our inlet each way and I thought that was a long ride. I have only made one trip with this boat to the canyons so far, used about 210 gallons (fuel management gauges acted up on this trip) and we ran the motors for approximately 18 hours straight. That day we also fished two canyons and trolled for tuna the rest of the day.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
On a 282 Sailfish I get about 1.5 to 1.7. The boat in my opinion has more than enough power with F225s. I have no noticable difference with a full load and crew in terms of power, Gas ticks up a little with a full boat

myprozac

Reaction score
Tuna Man said:
I know this has been beaten to death, but your bottom paint can make a significant difference, even at tuna trolling speeds. I have seen similar boats to ours with poor paint conditions or slight bottom growth loose close to 25% speed/efficiency. On an older Marlin top speed went from 42mph to approximately 33mph and max rpm went from 6000 to about 4900. We were amazed when we pulled the boat at how little growth there was (about 1/16" of 'fuzz').

Myprozak, where do you boat out of with runs like that? Do you have fuel isses or do you bring extra just in case? Our NJ canyons are about 75-90 nautical miles from our inlet each way and I thought that was a long ride. I have only made one trip with this boat to the canyons so far, used about 210 gallons (fuel management gauges acted up on this trip) and we ran the motors for approximately 18 hours straight. That day we also fished two canyons and trolled for tuna the rest of the day.

We run out of Galveston, Texas in the gulf of mexico. We have floatin rigs in our gulf. The closest one is 118 nm from our jettys. We have to run out this far just to get into yellowfin tuna water territory. There are several other rigs extending to over 220 nm. We bring plastic fuel drums.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Myprozak, that is a long ride. I doubt you would be going that far if it wasn't worth it. Catch em up!

Pigiron, the information on non-current models is normally available directly from Grady White. You would have to call them or email them. I suggest you start a post on this website and more likely than not other owners with 1995 boats (or similar years) would offer some valuable feedback, with real world numbers.