Camper Cover for a 208?

Fever

Reaction score
Hi all-

I bought a 2001 208 Adventure last year and noticed curtain snaps just outside the gunwale above the rub rail. These start just aft of the hard top and go aft to the stern.

I'm wondering if this is for a camper top option and if anyone who knows the answer also has a photo what it looks like.

We are thinking of camping next summer, and this would be a convenient addition.

Thanks,

Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Consider... Regardless of what it may/may not have looked like, what do YOU want it to look like? The best solution is going to be to have a local canvas shop make it for you. Talk to them and design it the way that would work best for you and your family. Googling will give you plenty of pictures to look at - it doesn't necessarily have to be a 208, either - any brand/model boat that is even just a little bit similar will do. A good canvas shop will know what to do and can offer suggestions.

Snaps could have been for a cover... could've been for a slant back cover... but will not have been for a camper top without an aft bimini to create the "square" back end. If it was a bimini, there would still likely be the bimini hardware on the gunwale.

Fever

Reaction score
I appreciate your insight and advice. I'm just wondering if this was a Grady White option when this boats were made. I would likely start with OEM, because that is what i want.

Thanks,

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm guessing a cockpit cover as well. You could have something custom made up. Like will be expensive. You'll be the one to assess the looks and if you will use enough. I've had the need for one about 4X with my boat. I use the largest black binder clips I can find, a couple of boat hooks in the aft rod holders and the right size tarp (4X8 I believe. I've bungeed the top and clipped the side with smaller tarps that were cut to size. Not pretty but it worked for a couple nights. My son and I had inflatable beds on the deck while the girls slept below. Morning comes early!

Willy-C

Reaction score
Fever.....here’s some pix of my original OEM GW Bimini/canvas before I had it redone last year. I know it’s a different boat but might be a pic of what you are looking for. It came with bimini, three clear windows and a back enclosure that zips up tight and snaps around the splash well.

I also had a custom cockpit cover made utilizing the factory snaps, I use it in my driveway to keep out leaves and rain, luvit.422DA39A-A2B8-4409-A8D9-90A39546E0A9.jpegC91714BB-3E47-479B-8F31-534BB54E7A39.jpeg

Willy-C

Reaction score
Cockpit (or mooring) cover

Attachments

• D1691C3F-C026-48F0-8593-9D9AAEE721F6.jpeg
    D1691C3F-C026-48F0-8593-9D9AAEE721F6.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 9

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Mike, I hear what you're saying about wanting OE (it's OE in this case, not OEM) - and if that's what you want, certainly go for it. But from someone that's been boating his whole life, has had dozens of boats and works in the industry... all you are going to end up with is spending more money. OE does not mean better - a good canvas shop can do as good, or better, of a job at a lower price. If you purchase from Grady, it's not going to "fit right up" - you'll still need to install all of the snaps to match up with the existing placement on the boat - take into account a couple hundred dollars for a shop to fit it up, or buy the tool to do it yourself (best one on the market is about $150... and WELL worth it).

You can check your manual or even the brochure on Grady's site to see if it was an option. But I highly doubt a true "Camper Top" was an option - if you want that, you'll need to install a second bimini.

Again, please take this with the good intentions it is meant. From someone with more experience in this area, you are better off all around having it made by a local shop. Also, having "Grady" canvas will make absolutely no difference to resale value. Quality and functionality are much more important.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis that a good shop can do it. The only option of OE is call A&J Canvas direct and see if they will work with you. The additional markups will make it cost prohibitive if you don't.

Fever

Reaction score
Fever.....here’s some pix of my original OEM GW Bimini/canvas before I had it redone last year. I know it’s a different boat but might be a pic of what you are looking for. It came with bimini, three clear windows and a back enclosure that zips up tight and snaps around the splash well.

I also had a custom cockpit cover made utilizing the factory snaps, I use it in my driveway to keep out leaves and rain, luvit.View attachment 5434View attachment 5435

Thank you for the pics. Kinda what I was wondering if these snaps on mine are for a mooring cover.

Fever

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the replies.

I understand the value in getting a custom top made, but was going to give it a shot that GW OE was common enough that I could pick one up. We've got a few canvas shops in town that likely would make a custom top.

Thanks again.

Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Wait... when you say "common enough that I could pick one up"... that makes it sound like you're trying to first find a used set? I think it's safe to assume that we've been under the impression, till now, that you were looking for new? If looking for used - absolutely - see what you can find. But remember, you asked about a "camper top" and you won't find that. That will have to be fabricated from scratch. I'm not sure if you didn't see where I mentioned that before or just glossed over it.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Check with Great Lakes Boat Top. They were the OEM canvas vendor for my boat and still had the patterns in stock. I ended up purchasing the aft piece that you describe from them and also the bow tonneau. mooring cover.JPG