Can’t get a good cast surf fishing

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know that this probably isn’t a question to be asked on grady forums, but I can’t get a good cast surf fishing. I’m very new to surf fishing since all I have done my entire life was trolling and bottom fishing, with some bass fishing of course. Definitely have the proper setup with a bottom rig setup and a weight that sinks into the sand, but every time I cast I’ll go knee deep and cast it out there like I can do well on a bass rod but with the added weight. But then oh no my sinker landed way far to the right and close to shore. I just was looking for some tips cause I can never get it out when it’s not flat conditions.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
First, new surf fishermen usually try to go long, and cast right over the fish in the surf, flounder, trout, pompano, etc.
Second, if you do want to go long, you need a longer rod, and more lead. Eight and bait. That's 8oz of lead, and your bait. Eight foot rod wouldn't be bad either, if you can swing it. The longer rod keeps your line out of the waves better.
Third, if you want to go straight, go straight overhand, don't start wit a pendulum cast, especially on a crowded beach.

seasick

Reaction score
11 foot rods are not uncommon for surf fishing in my neck of the woods. 8 or 9 foot at a minimum while you learn. Search the web for videos on surf casting or even better, ask a surf caster to give you advice. Most will as long as don't try to fish their spots:)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If your cast is short and right, you let go too soon and/or you are not going overhead enough.
The weight starts on the sand behind you, one foot of line to the rod tip. Hands apart. three steps..left right left throw
You need a very long surf rod for this method or you'll hook your own ass.

Many many years ago, in the '80s, before boats, I fished the surf in NJ regularly. Target was bluefish and the ghost of striped bass. When bait fishing (mullet or clam, rarely eels), I used a 10 or 11 ft rod. Many people go even longer. I can't ever remember using more than a 5 oz pyramid sinker. Often used a slider rig. In the 1990s stripers made a strong comeback and I actually started catching them, mostly on lures. I stopped bait fishing altogether. Used a 7 ft rod and threw AVA jigs, poppers, and plugs. ALWAYS with a teaser! Catch a lot of stripers on a teaser.
NJ has sandbars. At high tide the fish are inside the bar so you don't need a long cast. Moving tide you need to find a rip where the water is cutting thru the bar. At low tide you need to wade out to the bar and stand on it. Thats tricky. Watch and learn. You need to quit before the tide swallows you.

Last edited:
Reactions: hooked on Grady

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You'll get it with practice. Hands up high like you're swinging an axe. Nice smooth tempo, feel the rod load and slingshot as you swing the bait forward. Let go with your finger, follow through with the tip pointed out to sea.

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If your cast is short and right, you let go too soon and/or you are not going overhead enough.
The weight starts on the sand behind you, one foot of line to the rod tip. Hands apart. three steps..left right left throw
You need a very long surf rod for this method or you'll hook your own ass.

Many many years ago, in the '80s, before boats, I fished the surf in NJ regularly. Target was bluefish and the ghost of striped bass. When bait fishing (mullet or clam, rarely eels), I used a 10 or 11 ft rod. Many people go even longer. I can't ever remember using more than a 5 oz pyramid sinker. Often used a slider rig. In the 1990s stripers made a strong comeback and I actually started catching them, mostly on lures. I stopped bait fishing altogether. Used a 7 ft rod and threw AVA jigs, poppers, and plugs. ALWAYS with a teaser! Catch a lot of stripers on a teaser.
NJ has sandbars. At high tide the fish are inside the bar so you don't need a long cast. Moving tide you need to find a rip where the water is cutting thru the bar. At low tide you need to wade out to the bar and stand on it. Thats tricky. Watch and learn. You need to quit before the tide swallows you.
this is very good advice here. the rig is going where your rod is pointed when you release the line from your finger.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well thank yaul i gues I might need a longer rod and I need to kinda wing it out

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I find it's easier to throw a weight/bait rig with an older fiberglass rod, more forgiving.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
First, new surf fishermen usually try to go long, and cast right over the fish in the surf, flounder, trout, pompano, etc.
Very good point. Up in the northeast bass will run in that trough just off the beach preying on baitfish and busted clams after a storm. Often times they’ll be 20-40’ in front of you.
Also on posting this, most boats are put away for the year and with bass still running who could sit home and ignore them right?
Especially if Santa brought you some new tackle ;)

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I always used a different casting technique than most of you. Stand with your back to the surf get your bait momentum going back and forth. When the rod loads up, step back (towards the surf) with your left foot (assuming your right handed) twist you upper body and let her rip. Totally different then bass fishing. Especially if you want distance. You tube has a ton of videos on long range casting techniques.

Few general rules. I used to use braid.... braid or flouro requires a shock leader of mono. 10xs your lure weight. 5 oz, 50lb mono. I generally used a fish finder rig or high/low. Fish finder rig usually led to less tangles. always use the least amount of lead to hold bottom. So days I could use 3oz, some days 8oz wouldn't hold.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have a two piece 11 footer. I use very light line (want to say spiderwire on it now, but I've used several).