Can a Marlin with twin 350s get on step with just one engine?

tish

Reaction score
Looking at a Marlin with factory twin 350s being sold on consignment (2013 engines so I think maybe less troublesome than the earlier 350s?) and was wondering if anyone here with the same or comparable setup can let me know if the Marlin can get on step/up on plane with just one of those engines. Thinking of safety factor here in case one of the engines grenades when I am offshore, which sounds more likely to happen with a 350 vs a 300 or a 250.

I figure if there are Marlin hulls out there doing fine with twin 225s then maybe there is a chance that a single 350 can do the trick in an emergency but cannot seems to find this info anywhere. Thanks!!

seasick

Reaction score
Why do you need to get on plane to get back home?
On a separate issue. I wouldn't want a boat with 350s unless (and even then probably not) they were 350Cs

Reactions: tish

gbgrady208

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2021 Marlin with Yamaha 300's that had an engine failure due to a rigging issue when the boat was built. It caused a fuel line to fail when we were about 25-30 miles or more from the marina where I was keeping the boat at the time (and through the Golden Gate Bridge which has tough currents). We initially thought we would just head home on the one running engine. Net result is that we could not get on plane and the Marlin was lumbering along at 6-7 MPH given head winds and currents. Quick calculation said it was going to take 4-5 hours to get back (best case depending on the Golden Gate channel), so we got work on hacking together a fix for the fuel line and came home on both engines (without any sharp turns since it was a issue with the rigging). We docked and navigated the marina primarily with the bow thruster as my hack was not going to survive any tight turns that would pull on the failed fuel line. Long story, but I don't think even with 350's you are going to get a Marlin on plane with one engine......

tish

Reaction score
Why do you need to get on plane to get back home?
On a separate issue. I wouldn't want a boat with 350s unless (and even then probably not) they were 350Cs
Fair enough, I think most of us would prefer to get back to shore on plane if possible vs doing a 50 mile run at hull speed so was curious if this might be a hidden benefit of having 350s. I'm putting together a pro and con list for this particular boat, having 350s so far has been all con... 100 more horses but heavier, less amps vs a 300, hard to find parts, a powerhead that seems to have a bad reputation even when you're doing the prescribed flywheel replacements etc.

seasick

Reaction score
Fair enough, I think most of us would prefer to get back to shore on plane if possible vs doing a 50 mile run at hull speed so was curious if this might be a hidden benefit of having 350s. I'm putting together a pro and con list for this particular boat, having 350s so far has been all con... 100 more horses but heavier, less amps vs a 300, hard to find parts, a powerhead that seems to have a bad reputation even when you're doing the prescribed flywheel replacements etc.
You have listed so many negatives
If you are concerned about getting back if an engine dies, don't get 350s:)

Reactions: family affair

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Sailfish with 4.2L and the engines have never died but i have tested one engine and it will get it up on a slow plane. F225 3.3L did not get it on a lane

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Boats running singles and twins on the same hull do not run the same propellers. If you want to have a good chance to run on one, then you need to carry the lower pitch prop as a spare, and be prepared to change it offshore.

Reactions: tish

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
The F350 is a better engine than many give it credit for. I have a F350A with 800 hours that has not had any problems. It also cost me so much less than a similar boat equipped with twin F150s that my F350A could fail twice and my boat would still be cheaper than one equipped with twin F150s.

Reactions: magicalbill

tish

Reaction score
Boats running singles and twins on the same hull do not run the same propellers. If you want to have a good chance to run on one, then you need to carry the lower pitch prop as a spare, and be prepared to change it offshore.
That is a very good point, had not even occurred to me but you are of course correct.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Two quick points:

1.) I have a Marlin with 2018 350's, series #C. I would buy another pair tomorrow. Best engines I have ever run.

2.) Even if one 350 would get a Marlin over the top, I wouldn't do it. It would put too much strain on the engine. If it happened to me, and I was offshore, I would cancel all plans and idle in.

Reactions: family affair

BtB

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 2004 w/twin 300 2 strokes. Can get up on plane with one engine and of course pick the dead engine up for less drag. This was done with an empty boat. Loaded for an offshore day I doubt it would get up on plane.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Like Magicalbill said. Not good for the engine. You can potentially get away with it on trips, but not twins. You wouldn't drive your car 30 miles with 2x the max tow rating with the pedal to the floor. Don't do it with your outboard unless it is an emergency.

Reactions: magicalbill

Kack

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It surprises me that the 350 won't do it.

Mine will run 23 knots at WOT and 19 at 4300 on one engine. Put a bunch of tab in it and bury to motor to get out of the hole. OX66 250's

Carrying a LH and RH spare 4 blade prop would do the trick.

greauxpete

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What Knack said.. you need a lower pitch prop that will achieve 550 RPM with (which will require getting wet) but I would rather get wet and get home on plane..