Can Gelcoat Stay Shiny Year-Round In Fla?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Awhile back, I asked about different lift scenarios.

Here's another..My 232 looks pretty good now. If lift-kept outside year round, can the gelcoat stay shiny with diligent waxing or will it ultimately oxidize and deteriorate no matter what because of the intense Fla. sun?
I'd like to hear from the owners on here that lift-keep their boats and what they do.
Thanks....

alfa1023

Reaction score
I have full mooring covers on both my Grady and my Scout, so the sun only hits the sides of the boats while on the lift / davits. I wax the Scout probably 3 to 4 times a year (easier access to the whole boat, plus only 16' long) while the Grady gets waxed twice a year (have to use a kayak to get to the transom and the forward 3rd of the boat). My ritual is to wax the shade side of each boat, so that means one side in the morning and one side in the afternoon. The topsides get waxed about once a year on an overcast day. I use the 3M liquid wax sold at West Marine.

Both boats still have that "new boat" shine to the gelcoat. And the Scout is a 1997.

The covers are both custom made and were expensive, but I feel you will recover their cost several times over when you go to sell down the road as they really do protect the topsides of the boat. The last two boats I sold (26' Century CC and GW 272 Sailfish) both sold to the first people that saw them.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Alfa;
Thanks for the kickback. Interesting...I hadn't considered a mooring cover. Your Express must have a hardtop; Does the cover go over the top of the hardtop or does it velcro around the support piping?
How many (on average) overcast/cloudy days happen down there?
As far as the sides below the rubrail, I have seen lifts that incorporate "walkboard" down either side allowing access to the hullsides. I guess you still couldn't reach the entire bow area, or the transom for that matter.

Thanks again for the info.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have my 2007 Marlin 300 in Panama City Beach Fl on a lift. Wax the boat twice a year to keep it shiny, usually Feb and Aug. Last Feb I got lazy and had it done, too expensive.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Sorry for the tardy reply - been offline for a few days.

Boat does have hardtop - cover attaches with turnbuckles on railing under hardtop - so hardtop is in the sun and must be cleaned (damn birds) often. Cover is two piece and is relatively quick to take off (10 minutes) and a slight pain to put back on (15 - 20 minutes).

Do have a walkway on outside of lift, which gives me washing access (via long pole) to entire port side of boat and waxing access from about the windshield back. The rest of the side and the transom gets waxed via the water in my Avon RIB. PIA but have no choice.

I don't know the exact statistics, but would not be surprised if we don't have 350+ days a year of sunshine. Our rains don't normally last all day (except for the hurricanes!). Our "extreme" winters usually are lows in the 40's. A typical winter day is sunny with highs in the 60's.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Alfa1023;
Thanks much for taking the time to reply..You also, gOtagrip.
Looks like with reasonable care, the boats can stay shiny.
The reason I posed the question is all the faded and deteriorated boats that I see when I take canal cruises in Fla. Many look pretty worn but have new outboards, doubtless from the shortened life span due to a saltwater environment.
I would think after reading stuff on here and using logic, both the boats and engines would last longer with more maintenance. Of course, that's easy for me to say, as I'm not doing the work.(yet.)

alfa1023

Reaction score
Speaking just from experience in our neighborhood - people will shell out $200K+ for a new Yellowfin/Regulator/Contender and then never wax (or sometimes even wash) them. It kills me as I am on the other end of the anal spectrum. And they think I'm nuts to cover my boat. "Too much work" - is what I hear from them.

If you keep her waxed up, she will look good for a long time. The gelcoat on my 1997 Scout is as shiny as a new Scout. Some scratches and such from many years of constant use, but shiny.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before I got the Marlin I had a Sailfish for 8 years. It looked almost new when I swapped up. Before the Sailfish I had a Seafarer for 8 years, kept it like new also. I guess I am also very picky about maintenance and keeping my boat washed and waxed.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I fall into the category that both of you do.

To me, keeping the boat clean and waxed is part of the fun of ownership for me.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Concur. It is all part of the fun of owning a Grady. Having the boat behind the house has been a real blessing. As they say, "the Captain's work is never done" although my wife tells me I'm done sometimes when I could do just 1 or 2 more little jobs. Think she gets jealous? Nah!

alfa1023

Reaction score
Its funny - my wife says she feels bad that it takes me so long to clean the boats after each trip. I have tried to convince her that it doesn't bother me and in fact I enjoy it. Every time you wash/wax your boat, you are giving every square inch a close inspection. And I will admit, if I do a quicky cleanup, it will actually bother me and the next time out the boat gets a very thorough cleaning. I am my own worst enemy I guess.

Magicalbill - where in Florida will you be keeping your boat?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Punta Gorda Isles if it all comes together.

The story is long, but the heart of the matter is that I have to decide whether I have enough guts to make a huge lifestyle change, leave familiar surroundings and family and "Just Do It."

My Lady has secured a job in that area and is moving down next week. This gives me the pschyological ammo to "stick a toe in the water" and commute back-and-forth; looking around...

I suppose this veers off the topic of gelcoat life in Fla. but did you guys have doubts about re-locating? What were the circumstances that caused you all to move?

It sounds like a no-brainer to re-locate to sunny Fla. and lower the Grady down and cruise into the sunset, but there are a lot of trepidations for me.

alfa1023

Reaction score
We didn't relocate per se, as I grew up in this area and have been boating these waters since I was a kid (now 54). But we did make a big financial leap and bought a waterfront house (for more than we really could afford at the time, and of course, for a few years looked like we were really smart as the value almost doubled, but that quickly went to hell in a hand basket).

But now, can not imagine not living on the water. We watch the manatees and dolphins off our dock, the osprey and maybe once or twice a year even a bald eagle, as well as the usual assortment of "crap on your boat" water birds.

We drop the boat in the water, pour a glass of wine and go watch the sunset. Or when the kings are running, and my buddies can't even get to the boat ramp because of all the idiots trying to get out on the weekend, I enjoy sending them pics of what they missed (the ones who actually help pay for gas and bait get invites to go along). It changes your boating lifestyle.

You only live once. And live is short. Buy the boat you want and the same with houses and vacations. We did/do and are loving life.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the insight. One of my bad qualities is not being a trailblazer. I have trouble with change and making big decisions. It is helpful to hear your take and others whom I've talked to. It's kinda like a security blanket to know others have done it, are happy and don't look back. It makes it easier for me.

I'll keep you informed of the happenings as they take place.

It would be my pleasure to meet in our boats at some seafood joint on the Intracoastal and buy you and your wife a beer and a grouper sandwich someday.

alfa1023

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. Will keep that in mind next time we are down that way. We do a Bahamas or Tortugas trip every other year, and usually make Sanibel/Captiva a stopping point.

Conversely, if you are ever up this way (Clearwater/Dunedin/Tarpon Springs) drop me a PM and we will treat.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic:
I am a native Floridian. I was born and raised there and spent 38 years living in Central Florida. I moved away in 2006 to change careers from a city planner to buying the Dillsboro Chocolate Factory in the NC Smoky Mountains. Not only did I just move, I totally changed careers and took that big leap. I miss elements of Florida like the water and some of my friends I do not like the crowds as Florida is being turned into New Jersey with a sun tan. When I was growing up we were a little country with a little suburbia and folks were nice. Florida also has a problem regarding boats. The State's population has soared in the past 30 years and the state has more boats than any other state yet the number of new boat ramps and marina is growing a sloth's pace in large part because of the west Indian manatee and its protected status. The rudeness and ramp rage at boat ramps is higher than ever.

With that said I love the panhandle and perhaps one day will either move back to the state or be fortunate to get a second home down there and I particularly like the Port St. Joe area or maybe Fort Pierce or Indian River County. The panhandle is still laid back and old Florida for a cracker like me to kick back and enjoy. In the end if I could chuck a 13 year career as city planner with 3 kids and take that big leap and move to another state, then you can do it too! As far the gelcoat goes, waxing it will prolong the finish for sure. My first Grady was a 1998 192 and I kept her under cover as much as I could and waxed it routinely. The gel coat was 11 years old when I traded her for my 228 and the finish was in good shape,still glossy and Grady creme color. Good luck.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Bob;
Good to hear from you. Isn't your Bahamas trip getting close?

Vacationing down there regularly, I am aware of the crowds and I, too, have experienced rising stress when a simple trip to Publix takes waaay longer than it should, taking away from my beach/boating time.
I also am aware of a certain standoffishness from the locals in the Keys. ( It isn't as bad around Punta Gorda/ Ft. Myers.) I don't know whether it's the different "vibe" down there or what, but I get it in Quick-Marts, restaurants, etc. No offense taken, but it isn't the "down home help your neighbor" aura that permeates the South and the Midwest. Do you get that feeling when you go to Largo and Pennenkamp?
As alfa1023 pointed out, having the Grady on a lift in back of the house will eliminate the crowds at the launch ramps, and I like Punta Gorda. I have good friends there in the Tarpon Coast Grady Club.
Your points are valid, as they always are. Thanks for the insight. I have a feeling the crowds and inconvienences that go with them will be a lot easier to write off this coming December when it's 25-30 degrees and snowing in Indiana.

I guess I can equate my fear of making the jump to Florida with a simple blood test at the Doctors. I get scared silly driving to the appointment and tell myself it's not that bad...Doesn't work. I go in shaking and after it's over, I ask myself.."Why do I get so scared? It was no big deal." Probably the same with moving. if I would just make it happen, I'd probably be happy as a kid who just got his drivers license.

You too have a good Holiday Weekend.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic,
I am.meeting up with Coconut on June 15. We are excited about the Bahamas trip and I am hoping gas prices keep on dropping too (lol). The Keys are a strange place as they are not Florida being south and all. I think it is why I like the backwoods coastal panhandle towns. It gets plenty cold in the panhandle though. I do enjoy the change of seasons here but come the end.of January I am ready for spring. I know all too well the day time highs of 20 and lows of 7. Florida looks really good on those days. I anticipate getting to the Keys maybe next year but this Abacos thing could become our new thing too.