Can I move my captains seat?

Timmaaa1856

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi all. New to the forum so I'm sorry if this has been talked about before and if I'm using the wrong terms. Please correct me if I am. My wife gave me a new captain's seat for christmas but it is kind of too big. I installed it on the original pedestal, but my knees are too close to the steering wheel. Can I just move the pedestal back a few inches or is it mounted in a specific spot because of stability?

HookUp

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Oh those crazy wives !!! LOL
My seat has an adjustable pedestal bolted to the bottom the seat so I can move forward or back
Maybe yours is fixed model and you can buy an adjustable one?
Is the seat a specific brand name? Maybe post a link to what it might look like.

Happy Boating

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Most, if not all, GW helm seats slide forward and back from the wheel, the pedestal itself does not move. If your new seat did not come with a slider, the industry is pretty standardized, so the slider off your old seat may well mount to the bottom of your new one.
As said, pics would help answer your question. Easy to attach pics on this site.

Timmaaa1856

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
The original seat did slide back and forth. At least, it was made to. Doesnt move much any more. I could replace that part, but it wouldn't turn because it's also too close to the rail. I dont mind the seat being in a fixed spot if I can at least turn it. I guess my main question is can I move where the pedestal is mounted. Thanks for the feedback so quick! I'll take some pics tomorrow.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Moving it will probably be tough. They are thru-bolted or in old boats maybe they have T nuts. Most boats have poor access to the bolts.
In old boats there is at least one bolt that will screw you.
There is a good chance there is a crossing bulkhead where you want to move it to.
Your best bet would be to leave the pedestal where it is and offset the seat mount. (basically, like a slider in the back position)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As others mentioned, it is much, MUCH easier (even for someone experienced in this) to mess with the seat, itself, than to re-position the deck mount.

Once you get the slider working again, it's possible that you'll be able to rotate the seat with a combination of sliding fore/aft while rotating.

Timmaaa1856

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
It's a pedestal on the deck, so I cant see underneath. There is a well right next to the seat. Maybe I can look under that and see if I can access the bottom of the pedestal bolts. Good point about the one bolt that will screw me. That does always seem to be the case. Thanks for the input guys! I'll post pics if I'm able to get access underneath.