Can jump gen starter, but not start with control panel

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Wondering if anyone has advice...

When I tried to start my gen, the relay's clicked, but nothing happened. I can hear the fuel pump as well. So I replaced the starter. Then I noticed I can "jump" the solenoid and get it started and it seems to run well. My gen is getting full 12.9 volts. And I am getting 12v to the solenoid control wire when I click the CP start button. One strange thing though, when I connect the solenoid control lead,, I no longer can measure12v when the start button is pressed, I only get 12v on it when it's disconnected and the start button is pressed.That has me really stumped.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I assume you have a fisher panda generator. Don’t completely understand which wires you are talking about, but have you changed the starter relay? Sounds like that could be your issue. It provides voltage to the solenoid if I remember correctly. After rereading, could it be a bad solenoid. If you are jumping directly to the starter from 12 V the solenoid may be bad. If the solenoid itself is shorted in someway when you press the start button and provide 12 V you will not be able to read it since it may go to ground.

Last edited:

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I assume you have a fisher panda generator. Don’t completely understand which wires you are talking about, but have you changed the starter relay? Sounds like that could be your issue. It provides voltage to the solenoid if I remember correctly. After rereading, could it be a bad solenoid. If you are jumping directly to the starter from 12 V the solenoid may be bad. If the solenoid itself is shorted in someway when you press the start button and provide 12 V you will not be able to read it since it may go to ground.
Yes, Fischer Panda 4200. If I jump the solenoid's battery cable terminal with the control cable terminal I can jump start the gen and it runs fine. I checked the control wire (from the remote control panel/start button) with a voltmeter and it receives 12.9 V when the start button is pressed. But for some strange reason, when I connect that control wire to the control wire terminal on the solenoid, it no longer receives any voltage when the start button is pressed. I am wondering if the control panel or a faulty sensor is throwing a fault that prevents it from being energized when the start button is pressed.

The relays seem to be clicking and the fuel pump wizzes when I hit start. But nothing else happens. I replaced the starter, so it's not likely the starter. Again, the gen seems to run fine if I jump the solenoid's battery terminal with the control wire terminal

HMBJack

Reaction score
As Bill mentioned above - have you replaced the starter relay?

You should always have a few spares on the boat as these tend to fail after awhile.
Can get them on Amazon. If you don't have spares, I think the below is the one you want.

And, what I have found, sometimes it's not the relay but the connector it plugs into has come loose. There are a series of spade connectors that slip into the black mounting plate. With all the vibration from the one cylinder FP, they can loosen up and disconnect. Worth checking...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralph163