Can this be repaired?

1995Adventure

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking at a 1999 Grady white sportsman 180. However it needs some fiberglass work on the stern. They started to prep it, but never finished. Does anyone have any thoughts if this is a repairable or should be passed on given its location at the bottom of the stern near the seam. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9179.JPG
    IMG_9179.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I don't know a ton about fiberglass work or anything, that being said I think that just about anything "can" be repaired, it's just a matter of how much it will cost and if that's going to be more than the value of the item or not. I think my biggest concern would be what you can't see and if the damage or repairs needed are contained to just that area, or if there is any other significant moisture/water intrusion in the rest of the transom, etc. Unfortunately, that area is below the waterline, so I'm guessing that there's a reason why they started working on the fix and then stopped, likely because it was going to cost too much money or that there were multiple areas of the issue. Fortunately, if it can be fixed and done for little money, it's again below the waterline so you can cover it up with bottom paint and you won't see the repair work or anything. I'd have a surveyor or a repair shop that specializes in fiberglass work look over the boat with a fine tooth comb and make sure you realize what you're getting yourself into and how much it's likely going to cost to repair. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Yamama04107

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you haven’t bought the boat DON’T. Have a surveyor or fiberglass shop look at it. Given where the damage is you are likely going to need a transom rebuild.

It certainly can be patched up but I think there is a lot of work to do inside.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
That was a big mistake grinding all the way to the bottom edge. To fix you will have to wrap under. that means you need to grind the bottom to make room. Run.
The wood doesn't even look bad. Looks like someone panicked over the transducer screw holes and turned nothing into a problem.

this is all gut reaction based on one picture...

D.D.

Reaction score
Yes, it can be repaired, but it's going to take $$$$$ and time. You may have a repair that exceeds the value of the boat. I would have a reputable fiberglass shop give an estimate, then add 50% to that, and then make a decision. I personally would pass on this boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it looks/feels in person the way it looks in the picture... Nah, that ain't that bad. It wouldn't even take THAT much time. Totally doable and will solid when it's done... if the right person is doing it, of course! Chances are you can get the boat for a great price to MORE than account for the repair - especially if you can do it yourself. It will all be hidden by the bottom paint so you don't even need gelcoat.

Since you're asking, I'm going to assume you're going to hire this out. Start by talking (in person) to a local shop or two about a rough estimate.

As Skunk said, I wish they wouldn't have ground all the way to the bottom. But it's not a huge deal - just a little more time.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm once again by no means a fiberglass expert, that being said, that single hole to the left by itself as well as the bottom main section of the "repair" or "issue" is darker in color, which would make me think that there's at least some water intrusion. If you can see that from the outside of the boat, I can only imagine that there's more on the inside, or what you can't see. I'm also unapologetically not a fan of 2 stroke motors, of which I have to imagine that unless the boat has been repowered, that considering it's a 1999, it likely has a 2 stroke motor on it? Unless you can get the boat for well under $10k, I'd honestly consider moving onto something newer and with 4 stroke power, as they have newer early to mid 2000's GW 180 Sportsman's on Boat Trader and other boat sales websites in the high teens to low $20k's. At which point, even if you paid $10k for the boat, but it needed say $5k in repairs, you've still got a 1999 boat with likely 2 stroke power on it that you just put all of this money and time into fixing when for a couple grand more, you could've bought a newer boat with newer 4 stroke power on it. Just my opinion of course, how much does the seller have it listed for? That, as well as how much you're going to be quoted from a shop, are going to be the two biggest concerns, imo. Good luck either way!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Update your profile to include your location. Maybe someone will help you out. If you are a handy guy and willing to learn maybe. As others have said it may not be a bargain. Hate to see you start out with a problem boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Fiberglass and coring are always fixable. Just how much time and money is the question.

1995Adventure

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Update your profile to include your location. Maybe someone will help you out. If you are a handy guy and willing to learn maybe. As others have said it may not be a bargain. Hate to see you start out with a problem boat.
Up in Massachusetts but also spend time in Jersey, was trying to assess if this could be a DIY

1995Adventure

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I'm once again by no means a fiberglass expert, that being said, that single hole to the left by itself as well as the bottom main section of the "repair" or "issue" is darker in color, which would make me think that there's at least some water intrusion. If you can see that from the outside of the boat, I can only imagine that there's more on the inside, or what you can't see. I'm also unapologetically not a fan of 2 stroke motors, of which I have to imagine that unless the boat has been repowered, that considering it's a 1999, it likely has a 2 stroke motor on it? Unless you can get the boat for well under $10k, I'd honestly consider moving onto something newer and with 4 stroke power, as they have newer early to mid 2000's GW 180 Sportsman's on Boat Trader and other boat sales websites in the high teens to low $20k's. At which point, even if you paid $10k for the boat, but it needed say $5k in repairs, you've still got a 1999 boat with likely 2 stroke power on it that you just put all of this money and time into fixing when for a couple grand more, you could've bought a newer boat with newer 4 stroke power on it. Just my opinion of course, how much does the seller have it listed for? That, as well as how much you're going to be quoted from a shop, are going to be the two biggest concerns, imo. Good luck either way!
They have it for 6500. Was trying to see if they were negotiable.

1995Adventure

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That was a big mistake grinding all the way to the bottom edge. To fix you will have to wrap under. that means you need to grind the bottom to make room. Run.
The wood doesn't even look bad. Looks like someone panicked over the transducer screw holes and turned nothing into a problem.

this is all gut reaction based on one picture...
Would it be best to see about a professional option, or is this something that could be picked up with some learning?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
idk what else is wrong from one picture.
Assuming the transom and stringers are good, if you get it really cheap and do the work yourself the boat is savable. That repair is tricky because the grind is down to the edge of bottom of the hull. To get strength you will have to wrap around. But you can't (shouldn't) have a bump on the bottom. Normally on a transom job from the outside, you would leave 3"-6" from the edge. Then you are just covering the back.

You see how thick the bottom glass is compared to the vertical transom glass. Notice the white "filler". You could grind the filler(where the screw holes are) but Not the bottom glass and then you could bend the new glass over the inner side of the bottom glass. Do you follow? That would give you a better bond than just going flat across the back. Its not really a first timers glass project because of the location but (assuming the rest of the transom wood is like the picture) its not like its holding the weight of the motor.
You could clean up a wider patch to gain some strength of bond.

To me, the 23 yr old boat with a hole in it is not worth BUYING. If it has an original 2 stroke, the motor is not worth BUYING. The trailer probably needs alot of attention.
If you already owned it, it may be worth making it run again. if you got it for nothing you might get it going for a bay boat to the sand bar... or it might sit in your driveway.

Any 20 year old boat is going to need a lot of other stuff. Why start in that hole?

There is no right answer.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For $6,500 I still think that it's a pretty big roll of the dice. It really just depends on how much you can buy the boat for, how much repairs are going to cost, if the boat needs anything else like work done to the motor or trailer, electronics, etc. I know that some have mentioned here on the forum that they spent anywhere from $8k-$10k on a transom rebuild, though I'm guessing the damage to theirs was considerably worse than this single spot on the boat that you're looking at. That being said, if you bought the boat for $6,500 and then spent another say $5k on the repairs, to then spend even more on the outboard and trailer then you could be upside down on the boat before you've even used it. As I mentioned above, I'd spend a bit more money and start with a better, newer, nicer boat that has 4 stroke power. But that's just my opinion of course.

1995Adventure

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Going to consider options based on all your suggestions if I can get it for a low price might still be worth it since the rest of the boat is very clean and the motor has around 400 hours. Appreciate all the advice, now just need to weigh pros cons etc.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Up in Massachusetts but also spend time in Jersey, was trying to assess if this could be a DIY
I have a buddy that cut the entire transom off his boat and built the core out of marine plywood. He did the glass work and painted the gelcoat on. It came out very nice. Can be done and really isn't that difficult unless you are looking for total perfection.

mmwwtp

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Check out BoatworksToday on YouTube. The guy has videos on all types of fiberglass repairs, and he is a professional. He is very good at explaining things in layman's terms. You'll be able to see what products you should use, and how to make various repairs. There are multiple videos of transom repairs. This will give you an idea of whether or not you want to even attempt a repair.