Can you HANG a Grady Atlantic 26 from Davits ?

Gradyfly

Reaction score
Just got a Grady White Atlantic 26 ( flybridge )
and I'm wondering if I can hang the boat from my Davits
( they are rated at 10,000 lbs )
so I know it's feasible for the lifts to pull it up out of the water...

BUT THE QUESTION IS :

Will the front eyecleat and the back two D rings be able to lift the boat out of the water or is that just too much pressure for those three lift points ?

I don't want anything to happen to the boat ( stress cracks etc ) so if anyone
has any knowledge on this topic please advise or send me a link

Thanks

Gradyfly

8) [/b]

seasick

Reaction score
In my opinion, no.
The front eye is generally not a bow lifting ring. The only safe approach is to use slings and that requires not just slings but spreaders for the slings so that you don't put excessive inward forces on the sides.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I think the two eyes aft MIGHT hold the load. But they were designed more as "tiedowns" than "hold ups"..

But the bow cleat definitely won't unless it is specifically a "Lifting Eye", with a tie rod that goes down through the stem.

And even then I wouldn't do it. :D

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Sailfish has the bow lift ring. There is a steel rod that goes from the ring/cleat to the keel so it's quite strong. Now for the two rings, I wouldn't trust them to hold the weight. The load isn't spread across enough area and will most likely damage somethng.

Gradyfly

Reaction score
It has the LIFT eye in the front ( with bar to front d ring

I do have the front LIFT EYE that is connected to the d ring ( to crank it up onto the trailer ) and the back to D rings are spread out past the motors but I'm not sure the back two can handle it...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does the boat have the three point lift factory option?

My Sailfish had it.

Gradyfly

Reaction score
re: Called Grady White directly and here's what they said..

The front eyecleat ( if your boat has one )
will DEFINITELY pick up the front of the boat without strain -

The Back two D Rings ( the one's on the back of the boat over the edge under the rubrail ) will NOT pick up the boat -

The new D rings on the newer grady's WILL pick up the boat, but
the older models ( not sure what year it was switched ) will not -

My gradyfly is built in 91 so the answer right from the horses mouth:
The FRONT eye YES, the back D rings NO - Please install new rings -

INTERESTING stuff from Grady -

BTW, I was able to download my OWNER's MANUAL from the site for free and print it out and put it into my LOGBOOK -

It's a great addition, as it has ALL THE BREAKDOWNS
for electrical, head, winch, water etc - Truly useful -

Thanks all -

Gradyfly

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I guess the idea is to use a speader bar and belt at the stern under the hull, and a straight single lift from the lifting cleat on the forward foredeck, for davit lifting.

exudedude

Reaction score
I would pay for the spreader bar and use the straps.... regardless.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The lifting eye that was on my foredeck (removed to install a windlass) had a heavy threaded rod extending down and tied into a long and heavy galvanized steel detail glassed into the V of the hull at the bow.

As far my transom cleats, they are good for towing someone, not much more.

I agree the Grady modern heavy transom cleats can get the job done.

seasick

Reaction score
I want to make it clear that jsut because you have the bow ring that is used for winching, that doesn't mean you have the bow lifting ring option. As pointed out, there is additional structural components in the hull to make the ring suitable for lifting.
Contact Gradt support with the HIN and they may be able to look up the original equipment options.

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Sailfish has the lifting ring on the bow topside and I can now understand why. When I pulled the boat this season had the marina help load the boat on a new trailer for first time. They used lift straps to hold the boat just above the trailer so I could adjust the bunks. With the boat in the air the straps began to crush the forward Port gunwale. Damage is about 8" x 3" of splintered fiberglass inboard of the rub rail.

seasick

Reaction score
Capt. B said:
My Sailfish has the lifting ring on the bow topside and I can now understand why. When I pulled the boat this season had the marina help load the boat on a new trailer for first time. They used lift straps to hold the boat just above the trailer so I could adjust the bunks. With the boat in the air the straps began to crush the forward Port gunwale. Damage is about 8" x 3" of splintered fiberglass inboard of the rub rail.

The marina rigged the slings incorrectly. There should not be inward force if the slings are spaced correctly above the boat. Either there should be spreader bars of the lifling points should be adjusted to a wider than the beam.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt. B said:

I'd be PISSED! They are supposed to know how to haul a boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Capt B, did travel lift have a speader bar?

Must have spreader bar so straps are vertical during the lift.

Capt. B

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They (Indian River Inlet Marina) actually pulled the boat from the water with a forklift. When they realized the tines would not clear the trailer, they blocked the boat then moved the tines to above the boat and used straps attached to the tines to lift her back up. Then they walked off to another project on the other side of the marina and the crunching began about 2 minutes later. They did accept responsibility for the repairs.