Can you make a GW more family friendly?

cmb13

Reaction score
I've been shopping for boats and have a little bit of a conflict. My main goal is to get a family friendly boat for myself, my wife and 2 kids (5 & 7). I live in South Florida, and will be using it mainly on the intracoastal, but occasionally out in the ocean. Although I may fish once in a while, that is not the main purpose of the boat. I'd like a boat in the 25-30 foot range with a small cuddy / express cabin.

Given the great creature comforts, I am led towards the typical sport boat, such as a Sea Ray or Chaparral. However, I am probably going to dock it in the water, so an I/O configuation is a real problem. That has brought me to consider a GW or Boston Whaler, or similar boat. I love the looks and the fact that they use outboards, but I'm concerned that these boats are really meant more for fishing than cruising.

The question is...can I take a GW, de-emphasize the fishing features, and make it a little more family friendly? For instance, is there a way to upgrade the seating so 2 families (8 people) can ride in comfort with nice seats / benches? Can the floor be nicely carpeted or can some kind of wood or other product be placed on the boat? That would give me the best of both worlds - GW quality, outboards, and creature comforts.

Has anyone done this? If so, do you have pictures?

Thanks!!!

gw204

Reaction score
Absolutely. Take the 25' Sailfish for example... You could easily make it seat 8.

1. Remove the port side pedestal seat and replace it w/ a small bench.
2. Have fold down benches built to line the side and back of the cockpit.

I wouldn't recommend carpeting though. That will hold moisture and not allow things to dry out properly.

Take a look at the one in my sig. :)

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
we have an '02 gulfstream and if you tally my catch over the years, you could probably claim that fishing features have been de-emphasized. i actually believe that gw's are a good all-around boat and that was part of the criteria in our purchase. back then, their marketing wasn't as broad as i observe today; if you page the website you can see a lot of focus on other than just fishing now.

i think the range you are looking at should give you what you want, especially with the 30 express and the new 29. there are factory options that can be added and you can always customize on your own. an easy seating addition is two kingfisher cushioned chairs (we have one, increasing helm/cockpit seating to 7. we can comfortably fit another, but we don't need it) which can just be left at the dock if you are going offshore fishing. removable carpeting can always be added (i've never been a fan since i like to be able to quickly clean off the deck after use - you may pull it for fishing, but what about swimming and tubing? if you wind up pulling for that too, why carpet?). we also have a little boatus folding table, but if that is really important to you, you can mount a removable table in the cockpit.

i've considered adding a sun shade over the cockpit (extended off the hardtop) that a number of people here have done. we're holding off to see if we move up.

you definitely need to touch and feel the various makes and models that interest you to see what fits your needs the best. we actually went through 7 of the top makes (within a reasonable distance from our location) over a year before we chose the gw gulfstream. being able to bounce from one to another at boat shows really helped. if you make a list of the "must haves" it will help narrow your choice - if you can't add one after-market, well.

many people consider gw's overpriced, but you get what you pay for. considering the makes you are looking at, i would guess that similarly outfitted boats would price in the same ball park.

i would suggest, and i'm interested in other's observations here, that you do get any basic fishing upgrades that are not standard and that would be difficult to add in the future - protects any future resale.

hope this helps and i know you will get a lot of input on this topic. ron

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi

The answer is yes, but I would spend more time and determine how you really want to use the boat and get the right style to fit your needs.

If it is only or largely cruising especially with a lot of people, you'd probably be better off with a cruiser like a sea ray.

If it really is multi use fishing and cruising, you can go the express or walkaround styles.

The express style offers More helm seating, but I find the walkaround good too. You have the bow seating on the latter and with the companion seat, I fit 3 in the helm, 2 to 4 in the cockpit and 2-3 up front(albeit in good conditions and responsible speed). A good cooler with an integraterd cushion and a couple of bean bag chairs turn the cockpit into a nice family area for up to 6 if needed.

With family use you likely want a cabin and an enclosed head. You likely want the ability to get everyone out of the weather should it get sloppy. The gw cabins and full Enclosures fit the need well. You likely won't be going out in bad weather, and you'll find that the different aged kids like to sit together. Having distributed seating versus all in the helm is nice for this purpose.

I have 4 kids 6 to 16 and the marlin was the best for me. I fish about 50 percent of the time.
If it was 25 or less cruising I may have picked the 30 express. I have friends that have sea rays and a doral, but the are 100 percent cruising. .

I find the fish box in the rear is a great storage bin when cruising. I use the frig, the livewell and the cooler for cold drinks and the rigging station to hold ice and be.a sort of mini bar when anchored.

To each his own, but really understand your use case and get the boat that fits.

Doesn't help if it is over built, has high gunnels solid rails, 4 stroke outboards, 7 jd powers awwards and the best cust service in the industry. Pretty simple if you think it through.

cmb13

Reaction score
Thanks for the great responses.

GW 204 - does Grady White offer benches to replace the seats? Or do they need to be custom made? For some reason, I can't get to your sig - can you post a link?

JeffN - the dry docks here are very expensive - approximately $1000 / month for 27' boat. I don't want to trailer it - I don't have any place to store it and just won't use it as much. So that leaves me with a wet dock, which is much less expensive than dry docking here.

Thanks, others for your responses - I'm going to have to reread later!

I am going to the Ft Lauderdale Boat Show this Thurdsday - I hope to see as many as I can.

striped bass

Reaction score
The 275 and 307 are great family coastal cruising boats with plenty of seating. They are open bow riders for extra roominess and have a head compartment. The 307 has particularily large head compartment for a dual console.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
hitting the boat show is the way to do it. if you haven't already done so, i would recommend paging around the companies' websites and get a feel for the specific models and features you want to check out. i think it just helps in making the most of your time. you can look at the paper specs side by side and therefore not waste efforts in looking a models that don't really compare. for instance, we had the gulfstream (23') up against 25' and 26' boats of other makes (and even the gw 26 express). this is because a primary requirement was wide beam and the 9'3" beam on the gulfstream really didn't compare to what i would call "true 23's" (in fact, my yard has me at 28' for haul purposes).

good luck. ron

JeffN

Reaction score
cmb13 - I have had my I/O wet docked for at loeast five months a year for 20 years. repowered last season never had an issue. The only I/Os that make me nervous leaking wise are the old OMCs with the big rubber boot. I think those are fading away by now. If that is your concern.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like great timing with a boat show around the corner ......you are in the market for a boat and the market is D E A D.
A friend of mine said , "most of us can figure out what is the right thing to do, ie. investments purchases etc. but knowing when to buy or to sell is the question"
I digress.......Just thought I'd drop my 2 bob's worth in.
I detest SeaRay's and those sport boats because of their lack of deck space and serious boating intent.. Boats with a fishing bent usually have more open and larger decks as well as better (usually) access to the water and important things like anchors , lifejackets etc. Just this Sunday,I watched, in amusement, some people (in a sportboat) trying to get forward to pull in their anchor, what a joke, and this was in a sheltered bay .
Living in Florida with it's warm climate ,you and the family are going to want to be outside , not down in some cosy den , removed from the world around you.
There is a product here in OZ called Flexi-Teak which gives the appearance of a teak deck and could be laid on the glass cockpit deck if you wanted that look.
Lot's of shade, clears to be able to adjust the wind and water factor and some home comforts, head , shower etc and those ever reliable outboards. Sounds like a Grady to me.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Brody: You're gonna need a bigger boat.

For two winters I cruised South FL, Keys and Bahama's with a 29' Luhrs - wife and 3 pre-teen kids. Had the time of our lives. Sure it was crowed but it was a blast!

I currently have a 268 Islander. No way I could pull that trip off now. I couldn't be happier with my Grady but its the wrong tool on the tool belt for your problem.

My question is this - Day boat or something you can travel and sleep on?

The smaller Grady's (< 26') are excelent day boats but the head and sleeping accomidations are a big compromise. I bought the 268 Islander because it was the smallest model with an enclosed head. If you need the living room consider a non-walkaround, a larger model or another Manufacturer.

If your looking for carpeted cockpit and lots of seating I would consider another Manufacturer. Why build what you want when you can buy what you want?

gw204

Reaction score
GW does offer a factory bench seat to replace the port side captain's chair. However, they didn't offer that for the model year that my boat is. I bet you could retrofit one for a newer boat on to an older on with relative ease. I see them pop up on Ebay all the time and have often thought of doing it myself.

Here's the link to the 252 that I have for sale:

http://www.greatgrady.com/forum/viewtop ... 2804#52804

Gary M

Reaction score
Buy a Sailfish!

We enjoyed ours for 4 years and cruised the Intracoastal in Lauderdale and were able to seat 9 people on G-W seat cushions!

When we bought our 2001 Marlin, it came with a cockpit carpet that made it pretty fancy for cruising! That could be easily made for any cockpit.....

Also, we LOVE our retractable aft Bimini top! This provides a LOT of shade that everyone loves while cruising or just sitting at the dock!

Abaco2007031.jpg

Do my buddies look comfortable sitting back in the shade on the 8 hour trip from Treasure Cay, Abaco to Ft. Lauderdale last year?

Abaco2007071.jpg

cmb13

Reaction score
Thanks - given all things, maybe an express 305 would be best. Now if only I can find one cheap....

Are there any other express models from a couple of years ago that are since discontinued? I'd like around 27-30', and I prefer an express to a walkaround for my purposes.

gw204

Reaction score
cmb13 said:
Are there any other express models from a couple of years ago that are since discontinued? I'd like around 27-30', and I prefer an express to a walkaround for my purposes.

265 Express. :)

jehines3

Reaction score
Boat for boat, you will be able to get more boat for less money in the Sailfish or Marlin Walk Around versus an express since the express models are all still very new.

Not sure how much money your ballpark is, but mine did not come close to a 300 express. With two kids the age you describe the Marlin is a better choice than the Sailfish for aft cabin purposes and overall below floor space is better. My kids are 3 and soon to be 1, and we spent about 12 nights aboard this season. Some on the hook, some at the YC. My wife and I can sleep in the aft or v berth with plenty of room to spare.

As far as family friendly goes, go with an electric head.

With a newborn this season I did not even get a fish permit and went strictly for family use (oil at $100+++ per bbl weighed in a little also).

I really love the boat, I wish it were a fully enclosed pilot house, but I'll probably go 2 SR Convertible on the next rig since converting the berth every night gets old. Everything in life takes a back seat to my family including fishing and boating. My daughter was so happy bringing on perch and spot at the dock, I know she'll be into striper next season. jh

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The original inquiry did not include a budget range for a boat. That will have a huge influence on what kind of vessel would fit.

The large cabin boats like SeaRay, Chapperal, Monterey, Regal, etc. are designed to attract women who agree with their husband to 'try' boating. There are TONS of them for sale because she went a couple of times and hated it and won't go out anymore. They are designed to include as much creature comforts below, much like a bedroom or an RV. Sitting on dry land they are probably fairly comforable below, although most tend to be kind of dark because of their lack of windows. Regal has tried to combat that failure with a large forward window across the cabin, much like the old cabin cruisers of yester-year. And they are designed to cram as much living space as possible into it's profile foot-print. They bob like a cork and ride like horribly.

Very little of their design is for actually using a boat. As mentioned, ground tackle handling is virtually impossible, so on the larger models they have an electric windlass. However there are no guarantees the rode will actually snake below deck, so it's a hit-or miss proposition anyway. And most are virtually impossible to do any fishing or water sports off of them as access to the water from the aft cockpit is generally very limited, or you have to walk out on a swim platform. They have LOTS of seating, with the thought that a newbie boater will be taking LOTS of their friends along all the time. The reality is, that's generally not so.

You got one thing right, the I/O is an absolute PITA to leaving soaking in saltwater. While it can be done, the maintenance is increased and they are subject to failure from it. An I/O is like having two motors in one - the lower unit is like an outboard, it has to be serviced just like an ouboard, and then you have an automotive engine on the inside and they are a LOT of maintenance to keep them running in top shape. They are very susceptible to corrosion, and require expensive manifold rebuilds every 5-6 years. With an outboard, you tilt it out of the water, they are fuel efficient and quiet (at least the new 4-strokes are) and offer easy beaching and easy maintenance.

More importantly, these boats are NOT designed for ocean work. They are strictly for inland waterways. They are limited in tankage, both fuel and water, and when run in a chop are wet and very uncomfortable to ride in. Serious boaters find better designs for serious boating.

Grady White boats are targeted at a different kind of boater. And while they lean toward sportfishing they get used for general family cruising as well. They ride better, have longer range, are drier, are setup to gain access to the water for fishing, and are built like tanks. Fit and finish is outstanding, and they are designed to turn a hose on them inside and out (more or less) making them easy to keep clean.

The larger models do have additional seating, both around the helm as well as in the cockpit. For a couple of hour ride, more people than there are seats, will sit on the gunnels, cabin top, or stand up. You'll probably find that you'll do that less than 1% of your boating use. Cockpit carpet is an easy addition, and can be fabricated up just the same way the 'tupperware boats' do it. Throw rugs also work depending on how much you really use the boat that way.

If your intended use is more focused on cruising than fishing, there are other brands that do that well too. A straight inboard is a good solution, and depending on how fast you need to go, diesels give good range and fuel economy. Builders that come to mind are Albin, Mainship, Back Cove, to name a few, or even some of the trawler or tug-style of cruisers.

But yes, walk the shows to get a feel for the various styles. If you're new to boating most will seriously implore you not to buy new as it's highly likely you'll change your mind within a year or two of buying. New boats depreciate something horrible as most people that buy new will just do that and not consider a pre-owned. If you buy right you'll have a much better chance of getting your money out if you decide to make a change. and right now, the used boat market is a buyers market, loaded with lots of steal-deals.

I've been around boats since I was a little tike. Mom and Dad started out with a 14' aluminum fishing boat, then an outboard cruiser, then inboard cruisers, all the way to 40' motoryachts. When I was 20 I bought my first boat, was a 22' fiberglass sailboat, then a bigger one, then wooden boats. I build and restored a couple of wooden saillboats, and sold a 40' Alden Yawl when I left Seattle in '92. Getting back into boating , we looked at EVERYTHING. Lookie here...we bought a Grady! And we love it, but want a bigger one. That's the classic story of avid boaters...they always want a bigger one!

Hope this gives you some more to think about.

cmb13

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the great replies. Yes, I see that the Express boats are newer, and there are fewer of them on the used market. My budget is up to about $80,000, so I can stretch to something that should suit my family well. However, I realize that $80k doesn't get you into a new 29' GW, that's for sure. If I could spend less than that, that would be even better for me. I'm searching the trading sites for something near-new, low mileage. I don't want to get into engine rebuilds or replacements at all.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A sailfish would be a good boat, you can seat 7 people on them without adding anything, add one or two fold up seats that can fold up against the comaings and your set without mush of a modification. It also offers you a good sized cabin with 2 berths and you can stanbd up inside, giving you a smaller but similar cabin to those you mention. One added benefit over the Sea Ray or other brands you mentioned is that the Grady will run WAY better in anything other then flat calm. Thye Grady hull will not pound, A Sea Ray is a horrible riding hull IMHO. I was on a 44 sundancer 3 weeks ago and in a chop it pounded and ran horrible, my 265 does not pound in similar conditions. Also, a used 275 may be a great boat, it has tons of seating space and is wide open for crusing around. If you only need a head and not a cabin that would be a great fit for you.

Gary M

Reaction score
gw204 said:
cmb13 said:

265 Express. :)

Good suggestion.......

Why do you prefer an Express over a WA? I think that your kids might enjoy being able to get "around" the boat. Great for sitting up on the bow (seats three up there on G-W snap-on cushions) while cruising too....