Can you plane GW sailfish 282 or marlin on one F225hp engine

mous

Reaction score
I have a Grady white Seafarer 228 and would like to move up with twin engines for added safety and space. I imported mine from Ohio with one 225 and one T8. The kicker engine is useless in open water with strong current. So basically, I have one engine to rely on .. little bit scary when you don’t have reliable seatow. Yamaha F225 is a weak engine with considerably low torque. I fish alone 30-40 miles offshore so coming back on 5 miles/h would be a frustrating experience. Being unable to plane on one F225 (sailfish 282 or marlin) will bring me back to the same point with the yamahaT8.

Can I plane using one F225 on sailfish or marlin 2002- 2004 models? What will be the average RPM and speed? Will the F250 do the job?

For your support please as there are no similar Grady models around!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Re: Can you plane GW sailfish 282 or marlin on one F225hp en

I seriously doubt it. I had a 272 sailfish with 225 OX66 and we could not plane on one engine. It had lots of speed on 2 engines.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Planning speed on one engine is not a best practice.

I've know several folks who damaged their good engine running back in over long distances. The most recent event was a spun hub. Most propellers are not designed for the kind of load that a heavy boat puts on a single engine. And engines are not designed for that kind of load either.

It's best to limp in at 8-10 mph on the good engine.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score

Own a 91 marlin with twin ox66 250. No it does not come close to planning out with one motor 17 pitch prop, wish it did sure would speed up trip back to port when one motor shuts down. Lost left lower unit four weeks ago docking in moderate current very difficult. IMO all marlins could use a bow thruster. Front went where it wanted to, fought it all they way. If I remember right it comes off plane when one motor gives out. Hope this helps.

mous

Reaction score

Thanks. . Very helpful. . As long as 250 two stroke can't make it, then by default F225 or even F250 won't.
How did the guy in the posted youtube reach 30 miles on 200 hp engine?

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

My 98 sailfish with prior f225's 4 strokes could not plane on 1, wot was about 4400 rpm, 1 engine tilted out. Way too much stress at this rpm. If anything would happen to 1, I would take my time at 8 knots off plane.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score

The last time a motor went out (fuel related) I remember the feeling of happiness as the gps said 5 hrs to your destination which= 3 hrs of good trolling that I would of lost on the way back to port with two motors. 8 knots is right on. I have no idea how he got on a plane maybe on empty fuel tanks /water tank, stripped boat of all extra weight, wind to his back with a strong tide. He barely got on a plane but he did. Not my boat though.

1998sailfish

Reaction score

My first Grady was a 98 272 Sailfish with twin 225 OX 66 Injected motors. It WOULD plane on a single engine running off the reserve tank BUT as other have mentioned this is not wise. It is better to limp home off plane at a lower speed to avoid hub damage and overheat situations.

My current boat is a Marlin 300 with twin 250 E-Tec G2's. The G's pack the highest torque and prop shaft HP. I cannot get on plan with a single engine.

I doubt very much that you will find a walk around or express cabin design require twin engines (with or without a bracket) that will.............

mous

Reaction score

Thank you all for your valuable comments. . The bottom line is not to consider planing on one engine as a factor. In all cases both sailfish and marline will limb at 8 knts on one engine whether equipped with 225 or 250hp.