Can you really waterski behind the Freedom 285?

hoya9194

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
We live in Cape Cod, MA, the Buzzards Bay side. We currently own an adventure 208, but need more space for our growing family. We love to waterski and tube. The Freedom 285 is advertised as a boat that can do that. My fear is that the wake is too large. Can anyone confirm that they use their boat in this capacity? Thank you.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Welcome to the forum.

Of course you COULD ski or tube ...it is just not your best option for that kind of thing. Too big and slow to plane unless you really hit it hard and why do you want to do that with that kind of boat?

I have skied off the back of rowboats powered by a 9.9HP outboard when I was a kid..........also skied off the back of a 16 ft Baja with a 150 Yamaha..........both were skiing but they were very different experiences.

Big wake? Longer tow lines.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've used boats of that size to ski. Yes, the wake will be quite large. Typically you'll just need a lot of trim and full tabs, but it can certainly be done. Make sure your credit card is in good standing for the fuel you're going to use! :)

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've water-skied behind our Marlin. Used a 75 foot rope and it certainly was doable, but certainly less than ideal. As others have mentioned there are certainly better choices. BTW, I was on two skis, never was able to master slalom skiing. Our kids (now adults) also have ridden in a tube (75 foot rope) behind the Marlin.

Hate to say it but you will miss your 208 when it comes to water sports and fuel usage. Otherwise, I suspect you would love the larger boat.