Can't figure out how water is getting into my 208

2ndChance

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a 1993 208 that has been kept on a trailer for most of its life. The hull is in great shape with no obvious points for water entry. It has the standard live well setup with raw water wash down. Also has 10 gallon freshwater tank. I've become alarmed by the amount of water that comes out of the hull after overnight or extended trips. More than a few gallons - like 5 gallons or so. It's saltwater, so I know it is not due to rain. I've checked through hulls, and there are no obvious indicators, but my logic is that after 17 years, maybe they should be replaced? I believe I read on here that someone had a similar issue with a 208, and the problem was located in the live well plumbing. Not sure how to access that area or what I should look for.

Appreciate any advice.

Joe

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you run your boat with the sea cocks to the raw water wash down and the live well open? The force of the water may be causing a leak in a weak spot in the hose or the fittings. If so, try running the boat with the sea cocks closed

2ndChance

Reaction score
will do. I usually run with it open since I use the livewell.

seasick

Reaction score
You can feel around the deck scupper fittings and hoses to see if they are wet. Mine rarely get wet. The fittings for the other devices, like forward deck drains, livewell overflow and livewell/storage locker are tougher to get to but note that those thru hulls are all above the water line.
I also suggest that you take a look at the deck plates and see if the o-rings are shot.
Take a real good look at the transom well deck plates and drain tubes.

2ndChance

Reaction score
armstrong makes some nice replacement deck plates. Maybe I should start there. They do need to be replaced.

bassmasterrap

Reaction score
I had a simialr problem on my overnighter. It was the drain on the bait boxes/live wells. The hoses were rotting and when water hit the side of the boat water would fill the boat up.

FlemIslGator

Reaction score
I have a 1987 Overnighter that had similar issue. It ended up being the plastic thru-hulls for the free-bailing deck ports. There were cracks in both of them, and the cracks were in the exact same place (right on the inside where they came thru the hull). SInce the cracks were identical, looking at them I had assumed they were just part of the manufacture process (they didn't look like cracks, but like seems). Anyhow, I found them by plugging up the flappers, and then filling the deck with water..... drip, drip drip,.... I replaced & now have less than a shot glass, even after a multi-day trip.
Another thought. I replaced mine with plastic (this was a few years ago). In hind-site, I wish I would have went ahead and changed all my thru-hulls to SS. I will one day.

Good luck!

billyttpd

Reaction score
If your thru hulls are original replace them. Close your seacocks as well Check your deck hatches. The guy I bought my 96 208 from told me to also check under the rub rail and tighten the bolts as necessary apparently the liner and hull are bolted and bonded together. I havent had a water leakage issue so obviously I havent removed the rub rail maybe Im wrong on this but check it out.

2ndChance

Reaction score
Good info. Thanks everyone. Yeah, I think I should replace all the through hulls as they are original. I'll also do the gaskets on the deck plates. I've never had to replace through hulls before - how hard/easy is it?

Here's an idea: if you live in the Boston area and have an hour to spare, show me how to do one, and I'll buy you dinner :mrgreen:

Joe

gunit1400

Reaction score
Another place to check is the garboard drain. I have a Glastron that would get a gallon or more of water after a day on the river. Found that the garboard drain had a crack in it. I replaced it and have had no other problems.