Canvas for 2005 Journey

cheremmi

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Journey soft top. This past summer the top canvas tore as a result of a contraption I put on it to keep the ospreys off from it( one or those spinning devices). I need to replace this top canvas, the bows and side curtains are fine. I contacted Great Lakes Canvas thinking that they would be able to help me with this issue. Great Lakes Canvas told me that Grady White did not contract with them to make this canvas for the 2005 Journey...does anyone know who did make the canvas? I am hoping that I will be able to find the original manufacture as all the other parts are fine. I have had canvas tops made for other boats I have owned by local shops, but they do not compare with the originals. I was able to purchase a cover from Great Lakes Canvas for a 2004 185 Grady White that I owned a few years ago and was very happy with their product. Any help would be great. Any ideas on the sea gulls and osprey would be great as well, I seem to be losing that battle.

248voyager

Reaction score
I have the full canvas bimini top for a 2002, 248 voyager in very good shape if you would like to make an offer.
I put a hard top on a few years ago and it has been in the basement. Located in Southern Maine.

cheremmi

Reaction score
I am in Southern Maine as well, Casco Bay. Send me a photo smj621@gmail.com see if it fits and condition. This is the first year that I have kept the boat on a mooring, every other year(20yrs) it has been at a slip. There are some advantages to the mooring, but hidden costs as well. Thanks

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi I have a 24 ft. voyager with a hardtop and I used to have a bimini on my aquasport (soft top) On both boats I have used a gull sweeper I purchased from West Marine. It is mounted on bag which contains sand which I also purchased at West Marine. It has loops at each end and I use bungy cords to attach the bag to the side of the bimini or the metal posts. It never damaged the soft top. Where are you in Casco ? I just returned from there on our 8 day cruise. Lew

cheremmi

Reaction score
That is the exact device I have. Either the wind or birds(Gulls or osprey) knock it over just enough so that when it spun around it touched the canvas. The canvas on the stern side where it wraps around the metal frame support developed a hole from the constant spinning/rubbing. The problem with the bean bag is that it does not offer enough support on the top. I understand the need to conform to different shapes on the bottom but at least in my case the top is a little too flexible. I place the sand bag device on the center supporting frame of the top, if the bag moves a little either way the device spins at an angle and can hit the canvas on the way around.

cheremmi

Reaction score
I believe I have found the answer to my original question. Grady White stopped making the 248 Voyager in 2004, in 2005 it became the 258 Journey with a change in the length of the hull. Great Lakes Canvas still lists and refers to the canvas as the 248 for both 2005 and 2006. As for my battle with the sea gulls and osprey, they do not seem to like a toy dinosaur/lizard I placed on the deck.