Canvas for 282

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am replacing the sides of my enclosure on my 282. The quote is for 1800. $450 of which is materials. They are only doing the sides, so that’s four panels in total. There are two panels per side. I never use the rear and the front is newer and in ok shape.
Thoughts on that pricing? I am in the Annapolis area.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can prob get the whole enclosure by A&J canvas (they manufacture for GW) with white stamoid fabric and strataglass plastic for about $2800. If you go sunbrella or canvas and eisenglass it will likely be a couple hundred cheaper. Personally I'd go this route and get the former. I've had both. Water beads right off, the stamoid stays nice longer. The rest is going to go (thread rips out, canvas gets crappy, plastic glass cloudy, plus it will all look uniform. Send your entire enclosure down in the smallest package you can so they can pattern from it. Ask to borrow their tools for snaps, lift the dots etc.
A&J Canvas, Vanceboro NC ask for Lee.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You can prob get the whole enclosure by A&J canvas (they manufacture for GW) with white stamoid fabric and strataglass plastic for about $2800. If you go sunbrella or canvas and eisenglass it will likely be a couple hundred cheaper. Personally I'd go this route and get the former. I've had both. Water beads right off, the stamoid stays nice longer. The rest is going to go (thread rips out, canvas gets crappy, plastic glass cloudy, plus it will all look uniform. Send your entire enclosure down in the smallest package you can so they can pattern from it. Ask to borrow their tools for snaps, lift the dots etc.
A&J Canvas, Vanceboro NC ask for Lee.
This seems like the route. How do they handle the fact that my stuff has definitely shrunk quite a bit? They have the patterns from a 282 since they were the original suppliers?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What fish said is good info. My enclosure had shrunk also and I discussed this with Lee. They made adjustments and you install the snaps to match your location. Communication with Lee is critical, don't assume anything, if you have questions, ask. Highly recommend A&J, we remain friends to this day. She called me last week to just say hello.

teaklejr

Reaction score
My enclosure is packed up and waiting on fedex to take it to A&J for a complete new enclosure in stamoid ivory. Lee said they did not have the pattern for our 305 Express so thats why i have to ship it to them. Cant wait to see the finished product.. Total cost is $3100.00 plus tax and that includes shipping back to us.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, talk with Lee and ask her to check her patterns. I bet they have the 282 pattern they can match up what you have to it and see if/how much it shrank. I did mine last year this way and they worked out great. The customization part is aligning the snaps and dots. You'll end up doing this on your boat to ensure a tight fit Do in warm weather to allow expansion and contraction with the weather. Not a big deal as the enclosure is not all that firm. Don't forget to ask for the tools. They will ship you professional tools that make it easy free of use charge. Just be good with returning them promptly as they let many customers use them/.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Alright everyone, i spoke with Lee and my canvas is boxed up and out of my door, set to arrive in Vanceboro this Wednesday. Question for the group, has anyone done anything to address the visibility issues with the smiley zippers on the front 2 panels? I like being able to open them, it gets HOT here in Maryland on the Chesapeake in the summer. The bottom of the zippers however are perfectly placed to block my view of the horizon when I'm standing. I feel like there has to be a better way. Perhaps only putting a zipper on the port side but i think this might look weird. I'm also considering going with the ivory over the navy.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Make them frown, instead of smile, but you may have to lay them down flat, if the roll also gets in your way. Can they go lower?
Unfortunately I don’t think the zipper could go lower. Any higher and it would obscure my view while seated and any lower there prob isn’t enough material.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You could talk with Lee and see if they can be moved. Prob can't go lower but you may be able to go higher. It would make the opening smaller and it may rattle more in the wind affecting visibility. Can you get some shoe lifts???

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It arrived from AJ today and man is it sweet. It’s better than what was on the boat when I got her. For instance the back of the roll straps are padded and the zippers on the windshield portions are reinforced with stamoid.
image.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks super. Take some pics when up.