canvass enclosure

LarryO

Reaction score
Had plastic replaced in front and sides of '89 204 Overnighter . Female snaps are really short of boat male snaps on one side. Frame may have been slightly bent . Suggestions appreciated . Thanks .

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Larry, the only way I can think of getting those snaps on is to try on a very warm day. I often have had trouble getting the snaps on on cool or cold days. Unfortunately, the plastic windows may not have been sewn in the same place, or perhaps they are not exactly the same size as the old ones?

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have seen the top slide to one side of the bimini frame tubes making it very difficult to get one side of the curtains on. Also, the front and rear guy-straps will move and I have seen broken buckles and snaps from pulling too hard to get them on.

Try removing both side curtains and make sure the top is centered on the frame tubes. Install the front panels first, adjust your straps correctly, and then the sides should go on.

Warming up the plastic windows will also help a lot. And you can pull the top over with one hand and put the snap on with the other. They can be really tight! But if everything is lined up and in their correct position they should go on.

EDIT: I replaced my adjust buckles with SS ones, the plastic ones get brittle from UV exposure and will surely break in an inopportune moment! The new buckles are easily hand-sewn in. I've been in a couple of storms that I thought were going to rip the top right off. They are really strong!

LarryO

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful suggestions . What's perplexing me is the side I'm having difficulty with fit fine last year . It was new then .The other side is really tight which is new . I'm hoping it's a heat issue . At the end of the season I'll get it straightened out . I'm in the water now , didn't expect any problem . Maybe I can get someone to look at it . Any other suggestions appreciated. Stay safe.

Pez Vela

Reaction score
Invaluable tool

My struggles ended after I bought one of these. A bit pricey, but I'm glad I sprung for the big bucks.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... /21545/377 710 1301/0/Bimini & Cover Hardware/Primary Search/mode matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710 1301&Ne=0&Ntt=Bimini & Cover Hardware&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=18&subdeptNum=58&classNum=595