canyon trip for Grady 265

FraJul

Reaction score
Thinking of getting out to the Canyons in August. I have a new to me 2004 Grady 265 w/ twin F225's yamahas. Was wondering if anyone has real time experience with the fuel burn. I will be out of Falmouth and am looking at about 110-120 mile run each way. Have fished the boat a bit and fuel burn seem higher than "advertised". Last trip was to the dump approximately 60 miles from dock, trolled 8hrs and burned 110 gallons. At this rate I'd be on fumes on a canyon trip. Would like to hear from someone with same engines that has gone deep

HMBJack

Reaction score
I had a 265 for three years with the same power as you.

I saw 1.4 statute miles per gallon average during my ownership and about 10 tuna trips.
Hope this helps!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
FraJul said:
Thinking of getting out to the Canyons in August. I have a new to me 2004 Grady 265 w/ twin F225's yamahas. Was wondering if anyone has real time experience with the fuel burn. I will be out of Falmouth and am looking at about 110-120 mile run each way. Have fished the boat a bit and fuel burn seem higher than "advertised". Last trip was to the dump approximately 60 miles from dock, trolled 8hrs and burned 110 gallons. At this rate I'd be on fumes on a canyon trip. Would like to hear from someone with same engines that has gone deep

The 2004 GW catalog notes the fuel capacity of the 265 at 250 gallons.

How much did you burn an hour while trolling - 3 or 4 gallons? That's 24-32 gallons while trolling, so about 78-86 while running. For a 120-mile round trip, that's about 1.4 to 1.54 mpg. Seems darn close to what HMBJack noted.

If you want to leave a conservative 50 gallons in the tank, then you could have burned an additional 90 gallons, or about 126-138 additional miles of running. Won't a round trip range of 240-260 miles - plus trolling fuel - get you where you want to go?

I would love to have more than the 150gals we carry, but we regularly run 75nm to the Norfolk Canyon to troll or deep drop.

Best wishes with that great fishing boat.

Brian

eppem

Reaction score
I have fished the tails (about 75 miles from Montauk) on my 265 express with the same power. I have range to get there and back with some trolling but not enough range to run to far east or west along the edge, hope that helps.

FraJul

Reaction score
Thanks EEPM I am on board with your experience. It seems that at canyon run would be a stretch with a couple guys,ice,gear I'm getting around 1.3 mpg and thats on FAC days. Trolling I use 4-7 GPH depending on speeds. Fortunately there is great fishing here out of Falmouth without having to go to the edge