Cape May Area

SeaHound7

Reaction score
After 18 years without a boat I am about to get back into the sport, but need some advice. I grew up on the Barnegat Bay in NJ and spent most of my boating hours in the bay with only minor hops into the ocean on very calm days. Back then I had small less expensive 18-19 foot boats that did just fine in the shallow bay waters. I have since relocated to the Cape May area, where I hope to explore the protected intercoastal waterways, Delaware Bay and some ocean running (possibly down to Delaware). Accordingly, I think its time to upgrade to a GW, but which one? I like the small efficient Freedom 192 and it nimble ability inland, but worry that it might get too small out in the ocean or lower Delaware Bay. Anyone have boating experience in these waters? Recommendations?

fathergoose

Reaction score
I am in the same situation and the same area, Delaware. I choose the 209 and wouldn't go any smaller than 20 foot for the lower bay and ocean. The Delaware Bay can turn ugly in a heartbeat so you're going to want something with some weight and freeboard. That being said, I know of a lot of people that take 18 -19 footers out there without problems, I just wouldn't feel comfortable in something under 20'. If you are considering a used boat I know of a 208 for sale at Taylor Marine in Delaware. They also have a 180 but that may be a little small for the ocean. As far as I'm concerned, they are the top GW dealer in the area. The guys at Taylor were extremely helpful and know the area waters very well. Ask for Dirk, Dave or Jeff. Sorry to sound like a commercial but they are treating me very well and have gone above and beyond in helping me select a boat.

billyttpd

Reaction score
freedom 19 is a great boat and you can run Delaware Bay and ocean without problems as long as you watch your weather.....I have a 20 Adventure that should be back at Bayway Marina soon...13 miles north of Cape May in the Bay..

Mjdap

Reaction score
I have been boating in Cape May area and I have had a GW 226 and 282 and now a Marlin.
I had my 226 and it was great for the waters. Not sure I would go smaller for ocean though

I wold also highly recommend Taylor as well as Beacon Light in the Chesapeake