Captain chair arms

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys, I have an 07 Marlin. Anyone found a solution to cleaning the soft part of the arms on the captains chairs? I have tried DEP commercial mold and stain remover, comet, and plain old soap and water to no avail. It looks like mold to me but if it was seems to me the DEP would have taken care of it. The DEP does clean up my bolsters like new.
Thanks for any possible solution.

River Rat

Reaction score
Try "Roll Away" spray. We've always had good results with mildew. Follow with some 303 protectant.
Follow instructions for both

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
g0tagrip said:
Guys, I have an 07 Marlin. Anyone found a solution to cleaning the soft part of the arms on the captains chairs? I have tried DEP commercial mold and stain remover, comet, and plain old soap and water to no avail. It looks like mold to me but if it was seems to me the DEP would have taken care of it. The DEP does clean up my bolsters like new.
Thanks for any possible solution.

It's not mold. I have the same thing on my 2010 and I read somewhere that it's a defect in the covering that Grady used over a period of time,and it just looks "dirty". The fix is supposedly a new type of "skin" that you can buy (not from Grady)and cover over it. I haven't bothered to do it so, unfortunately , I cant give you any good info. I'm sure that you will find that other's have this problem and maybe someone did the re covering and can give you more info.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
Same cosmetic problem here and, after unsuccessfully trying numerous restorative products, I purchased (via Grady dealer) the armrest covers. Only problem is that they look like an after-market "fix" (no texture whatsoever, plain vanilla) and I have yet to decide whether or not to secure them in place.

fireman_bob

Reaction score
I've had good luck using Duplicolor vinyl paint on my previous boat to restore the combing pads. I'm looking to restore the pads on my 02 282 Sailfish and found SEM makes a color in marine vinyl paint that's a pretty close match. It's called Sea Ray mystic white. For $20 or so (price with shipping), you may want to go this route before buying new pads.
From what I understand, SEM provides vinyl paint to most of the car OEM's for use at the factory to fix blemishes in the new cars seats.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I sent Grady White customer service a request via their website. They recommended I try Magic Eraser. As soon as the weather clears up I will give that a try and give you a report. It is still raining here.
We are pretty flooded from the rain here in the Panhandle. It will screw up the fishing for a month.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
g0tagrip said:
I sent Grady White customer service a request via their website. They recommended I try Magic Eraser. As soon as the weather clears up I will give that a try and give you a report. It is still raining here.
We are pretty flooded from the rain here in the Panhandle. It will screw up the fishing for a month.

Good info..Ill give that a try ..I had actually thought about it a few times but kept forgetting to actually try it. I'm guessing that our fishing up here is bound to be a month later too. Water is still so cold after such a brutal winter.

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
bayrat said:
g0tagrip said:

Good info..Ill give that a try ..I had actually thought about it a few times but kept forgetting to actually try it. I'm guessing that our fishing up here is bound to be a month later too. Water is still so cold after such a brutal winter.

Just tried it and it worked GREAT ! I had a new eraser and after doing 2 1/2 arms it had disintegrated because you really have to scrub (so count on using 2 erasers). Going to add 303 protectorant now. Someone said it has been caused by sweat/ suntan lotion, but who knows. Thanks again for doing the legwork.

IBeGrady'd

Reaction score
bayrat said:
Just tried it and it worked GREAT ! I

Congrats! Thanks for the heads-up and I'll be giving it a try fersure.

Any chance for a close-up pic of your restored armrests?

ttles714

Reaction score
I removed mine and soaked them overnight in a solution of bleach and water. about 1 gal of bleach to 3 gal of water mixed in a 5 gal bucket. they came out almost like new... let them dry and seal them with wax

Fishtales

Reaction score
I wish someone would make fabric covers to go over them like ice hockey blade covers.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have used Magic Eraser on prior boats with great success, in fact I bought a box two weeks ago in anticipation of the same thing.

Mine are pretty grungy though, may try the bucket of bleach idea first.