Carbed 200 Yammies on a 25' Sailfish - Fuel burn?

gw204

Reaction score
As you all know, I sold the 225 OX66s off of my 25' Sailfish a few months ago. Since then, I have been trying to sell the boat w/out power and at the same time keeping an eye out for a nice set of used 200 HPDIs or 200 Optis. Well, that search has turned up absolutely nothing to date. I have had a few options, but with the economy in it's current horrific state, I'm very hesitant to drop $15K+ on a pair of engines.

That being said, I've located a pair of '95 carbed 200 Yamahas that I am trying to work a deal on. If all goes through, what should I expect for fuel burn at trolling and cruising speeds? I will most likely prop them with 15.25 x 17 Mirage Plus props.

I know those motors will be less desireable on the used market, but going older tech. will allow me to bank a good chunk of change to put towards investments and/or fuel. I can also keep the price down on the boat as my intentions are to still leave it on the market.

Thanks.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 1996's Yami's. The boat gets 1.5 - 1.7 depending on loading and seas or close to 1.9 when light and flat (like glass).

Tunacious D

Reaction score
Brian,

My Sailfish is a 93. We just repowered to brand new HPDI 200s. My old 93 carbed 200 Yamahas delivered around 1.0 to 1.2 nmpg with the black SS 15x17 yami props. Never could get better mileage. A little to early to tell on our new mileage since I only have one trip, but looks like 1.5 nmpg on the lowside and possibly as good as 1.85 nmpg on the high spinning the SWSII 15x17 SS props. We have to redo the bottom paint at the end of the year as it is rough in some places.

Still have the 93 carb'd yamahas. One runs the other has a blown powerhead.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, that boat was originally powered with those carb'd 200's, and on average, loaded for offshore trips, you could count on 1.0-1.1 mpg. The best I ever got under ideal conditions was 1.5.

gw204

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not really expecting a whole lot, I just wanted to have an idea of what she will burn. As stated, I'm going to continue trying to sell the boat and want to be able to give interested parties some numbers.

Besides, I don't do many long runs anyway. The boat hasn't seen any offshore time since I bought it and I'm hoping it will sell before the next offshore season comes up.

whitey

Reaction score
my trophy pro had a set of 200 yamaha's.i got on average 1.8nmpg the boat was set up by a pro.props were switched to merc revolution4's
this was a huge difference