Carbon Monoxide Alarm

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The last 2 times I went down to the boat I opened the cabin to find the Carbon monoxide alarm going off. The first time I opened the hatch, reset the alarm and that seemed to quiet it. Yesterday same thing, open the cabin and the alarm is beeping. This time it would not reset. I even unplugged the 12v wire to it for a minute then plugged it back, still beeping. I left the hatch open for the afternoon with a good 20kt wind blowing into and through the cabin. Each time the engines or the generator were not running for a period of several days. I cannot come up for a good reason for CO to build up in a closed outboard boat, and especially an open cabin with a good breeze. I'm beginning to think its the sensor. anybody else experience something similar? Thinking of taking one of the ones from my house down and checking it with a different sensor.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Likely a bad detector. What year is the boat? You may have to spring for a new one.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some GWs use Fireboy-Xintex, Model: CO Sentinel CMD-4M.
The website says they have a five year life. Then they will start beeping. You can reset by depressing and holding the reset button, but the process will happen again.
Once 5 years is past, the unit will go non-functional (red led on). Time to change out.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Yup, that is the one. Just saw the small print and end of life is June 18, 2018. Almost made it there. That solves the problem and I guess its time for a replacement.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I need to check mine as I've never heard the chirp, but it is time to replace.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
the newer model is shaped differently, hopefully it will fit in the same spot without any modification or new holes.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you have what I'm thinking, you may be able to use a standard electrical cover plate (the kind you would use to cover the hole where an outlet was). Mount the new CO detector to that and screw the cover plate into your wall.