carrabelle 9/2

mullet

Reaction score
After scalloping with Matt Saturday, the plan was to fish with Billy junior on Sunday. Matt tends to get seasick so he slept in, Billy has had numerous ear problems and wasn't keen on the scalloping. Hence the reason for two trips. The plan was to meet up with FF and crew at C-quarters at 7:30 and head out for a fun day on the water. I had to keep telling myself it was a fun day, not a hardcore day. Junior likes to fish, but he's not addicted like the ol' man is.

The first of the "fun day" was the time we headed out. My standard launch in August is 5:30. We left casa de mullet at 7. Got a call as I was approaching Lanark that the FF crew was gonna sleep in. No prob, we'd catch up on the VHF. It was just me and junior, which was cool. That way when HE got ready we could head in (remember mullet, fun). We launched and headed out the river. I explained how things worked and handed the wheel over to Jr. He navigated the channel and the cut like a pro.

Since I figured this to be a short day I didn't bother with live bait. Chubs and elroy, along with that squid leather would do the job I figured.
The seas were odd, no rhythm to the seas. There were no waves except some hefty rollers that would rattle out teeth now and again. It had something to do with hitting them at 36 mph I'd guess.

First spot produced a couple of short gags. We moved on. I figured since we were into fun we'd fish new stuff and search an area I'd found 2 weeks ago. We got to that general area and started drifting. It wasn't long before the red grouper limit was in the boat. While unhooking an over the limit red I turned to see a fish having its way with Billy. After a good fight he drug this over the gunnel:
101_0183.jpg

Another mark makes the book.

Then it died. The sun broke out and the breeze stopped. It was HOT. We fished along moving here and there. Throwing back red grouper. As 12 approached I asked Billy if he was ready for a ride. He said "I sure am". I had a number I had found a few weeks ago and it was 4 miles SE. It would be our last stop before heading in early(fun remember)

As I drive over the number the show is there as before. We drift it and both get hammered! Three drifts later we have 3 more nice snapper and a few lane snapper to finish off the box. I forced myself to head north and fought a very hard urge to stop, several times, on the way in. We had a great day and I managed to keep it fun for my oldest.

A very special thanks to Brad. He met us at the ramp and backed the trailer in the rain to speed up our loading. I was glad to send him home with some fishes for his crew.

It was another special day with my 22 year old son that I know will be moving on with his life before I know it.
He did say on the way home, when he got out of pharmacy school, he and I would buy a BIG boat together.
That's my boy!!

Another pic of the snappas!!
101_0184.jpg