Carry on GenSet

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Ok. So now that I have the boat (Marlin 300) I realize a genset is a good thing to have. Been looking at the Honda/Yamaha small carry-on type. I'm thinking i'd put it on the transom on a mounting bracket while anchored and keep it in cabin while running. Anyone have any recommendations? Does anyone use one of these carry-on types? I really would only want it for the AC/Microwave while at anchor. My crew is already saying hot burrito's would be nice on the way out to the fishing grounds. I said get some MRE's ....then realized some of them were too young to know what those are.

David Olson

Reaction score
I carry a Honda 2000i inverter type generator on my 32 ft sailboat. It runs a 12,000 btu reverse cycle AC unit fine. It is two small for the 16,000 BTU units. I put it near the walk thru transom on top of a throwable cushion the bungy cord it to the lifelines. Make sure to face the exhause oouboard. When I go down below to the salon with the AC running I can't hear the generator running. I havent tried it yet on my Grady 208 Adventure but may try it on a space heater this fall when rock fishing.Hope this helps.

gordo_in_SC

Reaction score
Thats exactly the unit I am looking at. There is one locally available on Craigslist for 750.00 and I'm thinking really hard about picking it up.

Thanks for the input!

Bokat

Reaction score
I also have the Honda EU 2000i and was planning on using it to run a small window AC placed in the doorway to my cabin. I haven't had a chance to use it for that purpose yet but I have run other items from it. I have run a core drill from the 2000 and it is rated at 15 amps. The label on the generator says the output is 120v and 13.3 amps but it ran the drill fine. It is quiet and does a good job but check the power requirement of the AC and micro on your Marlin.

I bought my 2000i on craigslist for $700 last year. I have seen them advertised at www.wisesales.com for $850 new with free shipping but that was last year. You may want to take a look at their site and see what their deal is so you can use it when bargaining on craigslist. The contact at wise sales is Ed, he used to advertise on www.thehulltruth.com but I haven't seen him on there lately. You will be happy with the unit.

One more thing. Get a Carbon Monoxide detector!!!!!!!!!!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Happy user of a Honda EU-2000i. Runs the 6500-BTU AC unit that I installed with no problem.

Easy to use a one-piece Marinco adapter on the shore power inlet to connect to a heavy-duty extension cord from the Honda.

Brian

eppem

Reaction score
Get the honda genny, you will be very happy! I run a 265 Express and we use the genny to run lites and electronics while tuna fishing. When on the hook with the Mrs I bring it to power a blender for frozen drinks - woohoo!

ahill

Reaction score
I thought I responded to this post.
Check out durationtanks.com, they have a 6 gal remote tank esp. for the Honda 2000, I get great run time out of it and don't have to wake up at 3 am to refuel the integral tank.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ahill said:
I thought I responded to this post.
Check out durationtanks.com, they have a 6 gal remote tank esp. for the Honda 2000, I get great run time out of it and don't have to wake up at 3 am to refuel the integral tank.

We have a six-gallon Duration Tank as well, and have used it for long weekends. Also very useful when we lose power at the house during storms - like last November's northeaster...