cat tracks

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have my Grady in the drive on a trailer and the house roof with terracotta tiles overhangs the cockpit.
The neighbours cat walks along our roof and drops onto the boat and then proceeds to leave orange footprints all over the boat.
The front of the boat is always covered with a plastic tarpaulin but the cat can still access pretty much all of the boat.
I am sure someone on this forum has a similar problem.........maybe with mountain lions or such.......
Without changing my setup , how do I deter the cat? Unfortunately i like my neighbour so poison is kind of out of the question, otherwise i would have done it already.....

Boats Rock

Reaction score
String monofiliment line attached to empty soup cans or beer cans where the cat lands and try to scare the cat. I had the same problem but with a classic car. The string worked for a while then she got brazen and I switched to covering the car with a blanket and several mouse traps.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
How about bringing your neighbor over, show him the mess and ask him to deal with his damn cat. A couple of well placed comments about your new shotgun might help the process as well.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Cats + Boats = It Stinks

I left my cabin door open by mistake, put on the mooring top, thinking the air would keep the cabin from becoming musty. Wrong, wrong wrong. Marina cat got in the cabin and whizzed his scent on the cushion. Next time I see the cat, .22 caliber sub-sonic loads. That ought to take care of things.

striped bass

Reaction score
jekyl
Do you have any old CD discs? The glare from the discs is bothersome to animals. String them in a conspicous place and that might work. I use old CD discs in my cockpit to keep the cormorants away.

choogenboom

Reaction score
You want one of these

box.jpg

You can buy them here or likely at your local hardware store.

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_i ... FQod8lGGEg

I had a problem with cats using the kids sandbox as a litterbox. I told the cat that the kids dont use his litterbox as a sandbox but the cat did not get my sarcasm. The cat definitely understood the sprinkler ;)

As an aside, I have a cat story thats hard to top. I dry stored my ski boat in the off season in an area with feral cats. It was in a parking lot next to a harbor. Lots of fish carcasses around. A mommy cat tore a hole in the cover and moved in to give birth and raise her litter in the boat. It was gruesome. Besides all the cat poop and pee there were stingray carcasses. Getting the feral kittens out was traumatic. They ended up as mousers at a local farm. I pressure washed and scrubbed for hours and hours.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just take the cat "fishing".

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Awesome replies guys. the most permanent fix would be to take the cat fishing......once. however there are lots of things to try and I'll see how it all works. regards from OZ