Caught on Video

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Here are a couple of screen-shots of me leaving Haulover inlet the other day. Wind against the tide made it interesting for WAVY BOATS to set up his camera and take videos of everyone leaving and entering the inlet.

Check out his YouTube channel to see a lot of very cool boats, and a lot of real idiots who have NO idea of seamanship...
"Running your boat with the fenders still hanging off the side is like walking around with your fly open"

IMG_0175.jpgBoat just off the beach.jpgIMG_4995.PNG

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Finest Kind, yes you certainly need to know your stuff when dealing with that Inlet. It is very deceiving, with what appears to be almost flat water, until you are in it. We have nothing like that up here..... so do appreciate the seamanship to take it on!

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Finest Kind, yes you certainly need to know your stuff when dealing with that Inlet. It is very deceiving, with what appears to be almost flat water, until you are in it. We have nothing like that up here..... so do appreciate the seamanship to take it on!

Thanks Trapper, but Haulover Inlet is calm and no problem at all most of the time....no different than Manasquan Inlet in NJ where I've been boating out of since the 1980's.

The YouTube videos are made only when it gets interesting.... when there is a strong outgoing tide against a strong wind coming from the East....then all you need to do is just keep the bow pointed into the slop and proceed at a comfortable speed until you get past the jetty tips, then angle North or South (depending on where you plan to fish) AWAY from the inlet current and into relatively clam waters aside the inlet, THEN run out into the depths you want to be.

Coming back in, I just make sure the trim tabs are fully retracted, and take it easy coming in, using throttle to stay bow-up on the back of a wave, and "surf it in" ...carefully so that I don't add too much throttle and come down off the face and drop into the trough....that could get hairy.

Bottom line is our GreatGrady White boats will handle A LOT ROUGHER water than I want to be caught out in!