Center Hydraulic cylinder leaking

jskylar

Reaction score
I have one of my 03 Yamaha f225 center hydraulic cylinder leaking. Does anyone know what kind of fix I will be looking at and is this a dealer repair? [/b]

catch22

Reaction score
Here's a parts diagram link for your motor - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

Check it out and decide if it's something you want to mess with. Lot's of seals and o rings.

The 2 outer cylinders are for "trim"... the single inner cylinder is for "tilt".

Question is... why is it leaking? Is the shaft scored or damaged? Ever run the motor hard while "tilted" up, (beyond trim range)?... could be bent?

If the shaft is damaged, you could either replace the "tilt piston sub assembly", (#3) - $315. Or, if you don't want to mess with any seals, replace the whole "power tilt assembly", (#2), which includes the cylinder, (#eighteen) - $402.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
Have fun

most shops will want to replace the whole unit

try using lucas transmission stop leak

Pete1313

Reaction score
I have a leaky cylinder too....how much of that transmission stop leak do I put in there?

Pete1313

Reaction score
Add half of the cannister of stop leak? Should I pull out some hydraulic fluid? Also, on the lucas website, I see power steering "stop leak" and transmission "fix" but no transmission "stop leak." Which one should I use?

Thanks!

Pete

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If this is for a SEASTAR, before I added a chemical that softened the seals, I would spend $100 and get a seal kit, comes with one for each side of the ram, and a tool to remove them with. Bleed and yer good to go. Hardly any fluid comes out when you remove the end seal, just have a quart of fluid on hand to top up for the bleed process.

Or was this for the hydraulic motor tilt?

EDIT: BTW, a new ram cylinder is about $500.

Pete1313

Reaction score
The seals on my center tilt was just replaced....now the starboard trim cylinder is leaking......

I'll try the stop leak before a new seal kit as the labor involved in the job is significant....and I've got one other trim cylinder too :)

My boat is a trailer boat so I can check the fluid every time I go out....

what is the best position to keep the least amount of pressure on that seal? Right now, the motor is about halfway up resting on a transom saver...and the motor is not sitting on the trim cylinder...I retracted it a bit. Now, it sits there and weeps oil out of the seal....

Is there an ideal trim/tilt position while on th hard to avoid that continual weeping?

Enough Already

Reaction score
Wouldn't keep them fully extended for a long period of time - oxidation, corrosion, dirt - then when you retract, seals are scored and start leaking.