Center Outrigger

Finsup330

Reaction score
I have a 2001 330 express, looking to head offshore long island to the canyon more this summer. I'm debating whether or not to install a center rigger or not. If I should install it myself? Or is it worth paying somebody to install it? How much does a center rigger cost?

Reaction score
Just my two-cents worth...they are worth their weight in gold. I don't quite have a boat as big as yours but do have the 263 CC and I have a center rigger mounted on our t-top and have it double rigged. It just really makes it nice to have all your lines in a nice uniform pattern, plus it helps keep the line out of the way for crew walking around the deck. I don't know that I would pay someone to install it. You will probably get ripped a new one! Just find the center point of your hardtop and mount your rigger. I helped a friend of mine install his on his 282 Sailfish and it was a breeze...basically drill four holes and thats it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Finsup330

Reaction score
Thank you.....I'm definitely leaning towards installing it myself. Did you put a bracket plate underneath? And do you have any recommendations on where I can order a center rigger or the length of pole I should get? The information is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Yes we did put a stainless backing plate on it to add strenth and support. I would recommend looking at some of the forum sites first like this one here, thehulltruth.com, fryingpantower.com or any other that you're familiar with. You might can find a great deal on one there. The one that I have on my CC is an 8ft one which is plenty big for my boat. I would look at maybe getting one that is a 12ft version. For some reason their site is running slow today but this is the style mount my friend and I mounted on his 282 Sailfish...check it out...its the Lee Tackle site. http://www.leetackle.com/centerrigger.html These things can get expensive, that's why I say to look on some forums first. The one I put on my t-top is the Rupp brand. There are many of them out there. Let me know if ya have anymore questions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,

My suggestion thinking this through....

Find the center of the hardtop at the mounting point as stated.
Pencil the NS-EW lines on the hard top and center rigger mount itself. Position and locate the hole centers on the hard top. As always - measure twice - drill once....
Determine the size of your bolts to be used for the rigger mounting points. The lenght should be sufficient for the entire stack up (the rigger thickness, the hardtop thinkness, the backplate thickness and finally just enough for the washers and locknuts with a thread or two to spare).

I'd use SS bolts, nylock washers, lock washers and nylon flat washers. Use the latter between the heads of the bolts and the center rig mount and the same on the bottom to isolate metal surfaces. Get the tube spacer material. This is basically a hard plastic hose that is the next size up from the bolt diameter (the bolt should fit fairly snug inside the tube spacer material). Drill the holes in the hardtop to the diameter of the tube spacer (it will be larger than the bolt size). Cut the tube spacers to the hardtop thickness. These basically are a sleeve for the mounting bolt set in the hard top. Test fit the spacers to ensure they do not protrude above the top and bottom of the hardtop plane. Spread 5500 on the tube spacer outer body and press into the drilled hole. Repeat for all mounting locations. Make sure there is a nice seal top and bottom between the tube spacer and the hardtop to prevent water intrusion. The tube spacer is used to ensure you don't collapse the hardtop material around the bolts and also gives you a water barrier. Place 5500 on the bottom side of the rigger and set in place, drop the bolts through the rigger and hardtop. Install the backing plate (with 5500 if flat and you can) and finally the stacked hardware. Snug the first bolt, then the opposite diagonal bolt then the other two. Tighten snug in a circular pattern. Don't over tighten. Wipe any excess 5500 around the perimeter of the rigger top and bottom. Once the 5500 sets you should be good to go.

Reaction score
If I would have known that I needed to give step by step instructions I would have. I was giving the guy credit that he knew how to find the center of the top and all the intricate details. I'm also not sure who wouldn't use SS screws on anything in a marine application. Guess next time I should use a picture board for instructions.

Finsup330

Reaction score
Thank you, all the information is greatly appreciated! I double rigged the outriggers last summer, I'm assuming I should double rig the center rigger as well?