Center rod holder 232 Gulfstream

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Had anyone installed a center rod holder for trolling in an 05’ plus Gulfstream ?

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Are you talking about a center rod holder near the fish box on the transom?
Yes looks like there is space between the fish box and the storage box

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can you post a picture of the area in question. Then those of us who don't have a Gulfstream, but do have experience with adding things like rod holders can offer you opinions and options.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That is a similar set up to the transom on my 330. I added a bolt on holder on the port side where it was through bolted into the battery compartment. I've heard it is possible to do the same thing in the middle, but you need a contortionist to access the inside of the gunnel between the fish box and transom. Can just see the top of it in this shot.

IMG_6346.jpeg

The easier and better way to accomplish what you want, is to add a center outrigger. Also it appears you have more room to add holders on each side as well. A rod in one of those could be clipped to the center rigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Pop that cupholder out, and see if you can see what that panel is made of, as far as coring goes. Too bad the cup holder is there, that spot would give you support on two planes.

Last edited:
Reactions: drbatts

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
As said above pop the cupholders out and or open up the rear bilge compartment and take a look. I was able to put a rod holder in my 305 in a similar location behind the cupholder. I used a rod holder with a drain and used a t off the cup drain line. My boat had a plywood core and was was able to through bolt the rod holder in. That being said it was kind of a PITA to crawl in there to access the nuts.

another though would be to replace the cupholders you have with a cupholder rod holder combo.

BigD808

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I ended up replacing the cup holder’s with combination cup holder/rod holder for both the cup holders in the rear. I don’t use a center rigger, but usually trolling use 6 poles with the setup. The one located on the starboard side, also makes a great location for a rod holder bait table when deep dropping, keeps the bait table close enough, but far enough away.

IMG_0178.jpegIMG_0177.jpeg

Reactions: Jzeno186

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I ended up replacing the cup holder’s with combination cup holder/rod holder for both the cup holders in the rear. I don’t use a center rigger, but usually trolling use 6 poles with the setup. The one located on the starboard side, also makes a great location for a rod holder bait table when deep dropping, keeps the bait table close enough, but far enough away.

View attachment 30517View attachment 30518
Do you know what degree cup holder combo you went with 15 or 30? Thanks !

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
If it is possible to arrive inside the transom and tilting the engine fully up I would mount 3 rod holders outside of the transom, similar to a rocket launcher.
One dead center and the two externals turned a bit outside
Chris

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If it is possible to arrive inside the transom and tilting the engine fully up I would mount 3 rod holders outside of the transom, similar to a rocket launcher.
One dead center and the two externals turned a bit outside
Chris

As noted earlier in the thread, I located a single on the outside of the transom. It is a bit of a long reach and awkward if that is the rod with the tuna on it. The gulfstream may not have quite the same reach, but for this reason, I decided not to add more on the transom. The other driving factor for me is the need for more holders is not for storage, but for places to store the spread while fighting a fish. Transom is the wrong place for that, IME,

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Ah ok, now it's clear why not on the outside of the transom.
Well, then the cup holder would be the only free space to mount one, but it's not really center.
Chris

Jzeno186

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Can anyone recommend what rod holders to install between the factory gunwhale as far as make degree and orientation?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
You could probably get a straight back 30 behind the cupholder or replace the cupholder with a rodholder/cupholder.
You can connect a drain line out to the deck or down into the bilge so it does not drip on things below.

Gemlux.com makes very nice "screwless" Bluewater rodholders. You pay a bit more....

Your gunnels are open on the bottom which makes things easy.. You can install the screwless gemlux holders without the special wrench because you can get a plumbing wrench up there.

You must consider angles and space . 30 deg will not point straight outboard because the gunnel is not wide enough.
The screwless give the advantage of having a narrow flange with no screws. You can place the hole off center to give more room for a 15 or 30 facing outboard.

Always think it thru before drilling!!!!! You have to clear things below your gunnel and not interfere with the horizonal gunnel "gaffholder"

When measuring, remember that the top of the gunnel is wider than the space underneath.

here is their diagram of rodholder layout. This is a typical pattern that works for trollong with outriggers.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 at 9.47.28 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jzeno186