chafing bowpulpit -mooring lines

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi ! My 248 1997 voyager has dual (port starboard) chocks leading to a single cleat on the bowpulpit. I was not able to run the mooring lines through the anchor roller (3/4 inch lines with loops). The mooring lines are chaffing the fiberglass under the bowbulpit as the boat swings sideways to the wind. Newer models have dual cleats through bolted to the forward (port and starboard deck)
Two solutions beside through bolting new cleats I thought of 1) attaching chaffing (stainless) plates to the underside of the bowpulpit) and 2) obtain larger entry setup for the anchor roller at the fron of the bowpulpit-if they make them. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows or had dealt with this problem. Thanks Lew

Lew

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I solved the problem -thanks to our Grady White Dealer in Middleton Ma. Th fix involved widening the stainless steel tangs at the end of the roller assembly on the bowpulpit. The GW dealer was so helpful that he lent me a two foot iron pipe that I used to lever the bending of the tangs. The job took me all of two minutes. Looks like Murphy was off for the day. For a guy like myself, with limited knowledge and mechanical aptitude, I feel a great deal of satisfaction about the accomplishment. :D :D :D :D