Chalkiness on a 2006

wshackne

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Gulfsteam and the topsides are already getting "chalky." I got the boat used in August of last year and doubt the the previous owner ever waxed it. I waxed it in October last year and just finished up my spring wax job (I know, I am a little late).

My questions is, should this gelcoat be degrading this fast? I am a bit surprised at the chalkiness at this early age.

As a follow up, I generally wax the topsides twice a year with 3M marine wax. I don't touch the non skid surface, just do the smooth stuff. Should I be using a different product or waking a different way?

gerrys

Reaction score
It really depends where you are and how you maintain the boat. The intense sun and heat in FL is brutal on wax and gelcoat. A cover can help tremendously. Also, the products you use for cleanup can have a major effect on how long a waxing lasts. 3M products are good. I've recently switched to a product named Rejex.
Here's the website if you're interested:
http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html
It's a polymer coating as opposed to a wax and I have found it outlasts the SeaBrite and Maguires products I was using.