Change shifter throttle cables anyone ?

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My cables are getting sticky tight. Anyone here tackle that job or have it done before ? 2007 Marlin with F 250’s

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Not as hard as it looks. Lots of discussion in the posts here. Trick is correct length cables and a pulling tool/plan.

seasick

Reaction score
and don't drop a screw or a nut into another dimension when you open the binnacle.
Ditto on the control parts; Take pictures before each step of disassembly for later reassembly.

Note that in addition to removing the cables from the control, you may need to remove panels at the helm to help pull new cables as well as pull out the old ones. The cables may also have a few cable ties that have to be cut.
You also may want to make a drawing oh what cable,wire, tube etc is in what spot on the rigging tube bushing on the lower cowling. It can help a ton, to put a number on each item and note that on the sketch. It looks easy to get everything back in the rigging tube and bushing but it can easily turn out to be a miserable task.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Try this...

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin 300. Use Teleflex extreme cables. 24' & 26' are sizes you need. You can confirm with GW. You may need to pull off starboard mid berth panels to help guide...Remove binnacle and pull from there...Electrical Tape (real good) new cable with electrical tape with about 12" cable over lap and pull each one. Remove binnacle....then you will need to adjust where the cables attach to the engine shift mechanism. Not a terrible job. Will need another person. Keep for of old cable for future pulls of wires...

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I was lazy. Had a shop replace cables when I had the transom rebuilt. They were almost rotted through.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Everyone was busy with repowers. Robby at BlueWater convinced me to do it myself. He was right - It wasn't that hard. See my thread above.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I did it this spring. Not too difficult. Just make sure that you don't damage any wiring or anything when you pull them. Good Luck!

greauxpete

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I zip tied the new cables to the old and taped it up for a smooth transition then pulled form the control box while someone pushed form the rear.
I have an Islander 268 BTW.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks all … gonna scope it out this weekend. Anyone do it in the slip or pull the boat ?

seasick

Reaction score
It can be done in the water but the difficulty increases as the number of parts you need to remove increases. One piece of advice is to rig a tarp under the motors. If you are in a private slip, all the better for rigging the tarp. Should you drop something, hopefully the tarp will catch it.