changing courtesy to led

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
On the Marlin there are two attwood courtesy lights on the steps on either side of the cabin. They are really attwood stern lights rated for 2nm. One of mine is out. That got me to thinking about converting those lights to led. A couple of questions. First, any recommendations of models for replacing the attwoods (and using the same cut out hole, I dont want to make the hole larger). Second, do I need to make any modifications to the electrical wiring i.e. fuse or is it just cut the leads and rejoin to new lights with heat shrink connectors. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
There are LED replacement bulbs for a lot of incandescent ones. Even West Marine web site lists some. I can't say for sure if your particular bulb is available but if the fixtures are OK, it might be worth a look.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I looked into changing the deck lights to LED's mainly b/c of the draw when I'm fishing at night. I think you are going to be disappointed in the amount of light they emit. If it's for asthetics, they will look pretty but won't illuminate your deck.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I changed mine over to red LED and added a string of red LEDs under my gunwale. Together they provide just enough light to fish at night without losing your night vision.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Do they provide enough light to tie knots? How is the red vs. white?

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
fishie1 said:
I changed mine over to red LED and added a string of red LEDs under my gunwale. Together they provide just enough light to fish at night without losing your night vision.

Ditto on my Bimini. Did not do it on the 330, but i will do it on the 336.

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Fishie 1 what type of lights did you have and what did you sub in. Also, was there anything more to it on the electrical side than reconnecting wires to leads?

Wannderer

Reaction score
On my 33 I replaced attwood 2nm stern lights with 3.5 in hella warm white leds and also installed warm white leds under the gunwales. The hella's are courtesy flush mount leds and run about 30 bucks a piece. The rope lightoing is from imtra and you need to buy a little more than whatever l;ength your are going to use plus you need to buy the grey thick wire connector for it as well as a butt cap for the end you do not connect. The best thing to hold the rope ligthing up is small short screws screwed into plastic conduit clips. The courtesy round leds fit in the hole and basically the same footprint that the attwoods do, but the attwoods have two screw holes, one at top, and one at bottom, where as the hella leds have 3 spread evenly apart so u will have to drill new holes. I just put 5200 in the old holes for the hell of it and drilled new holes. For wiring just snip the old attwood wires close as u can. Slide rope led and hella coutesy led positive lead into the same end of a heat shrink butt connector, do the same with the negative leads. Crimp that side then place the old wire leads coming from the power source into the appropriate ends of the butt connectors. Crimp an dheat shrink both ends. Screw that bitch into place and flip the switch on and hope u dont have to touch any of that crap again. My way is easy but you probably want to match the color of the lighst since they both operate off of courtesy light switch. Do not use red leds or blue leds on either rope or courtesy lights for cockpit. I thought about blue, but the cockpit is a place whhere you need normal lighting to perform duties for fishing. Look at any custom battlewagon out there. Many have cool blue led or green led lights on the bridhge and hardtop and tower. But the spreader lights and cockpit lights are all white. There is a reason.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Courtesy lights
http://www.hellamarine.com/a=3&t=3&View ... 616&pcid=6

Under Gunwale
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/als.htm

I did this three years ago so there are considerably more choices now. For example I would probably not use string LEDs now, I would probably go with the tubes.

I have spreaders but prefer to leave them off unless I run the generator. Between the cockpit lights and the red/white combo light at the helm I have enough illumination to tie knots etc. and still retain most of my night vision.