changing fuel filter

no restrictions

Reaction score
bought some 10 micron racors. Do I need to fill the filters with fuel before mounting. If so how would one do that in sloppy seas.

Also, have anybody done a recent 100 hour, how much does it usually cost.

thanks in advance

striped bass

Reaction score
Yes, put fuel into the filter before re-mounting. Use oil cloths when replacing the fuel filter whether on land or in sloppy seas. Oil cloths are large absorbent gauze sheets the size of a pillow case. Place them under the micron filter when removing and remounting. When done, discard the oil cloth into a zip lock plastic bag throw away in a safe trash disposal container for oily rags. Most boat yards have one of these.

I always carry a spare can of gas that has a funnel which can guide the gas into the filter. I also carry a cooking baster on board which I can use to suck gas out the gas can and squirt into the micron filter which is safer and easier.

If you religiously change the 10 micron filter each season you will probably never have to do an emergency change at sea.

Stonewall

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lucky (or crazy) but I change my spin on water separator filters at least twice a year and have never filled them with fuel before putting them on. I shut off the gas cocks, spin off the old ones, coat the o-ring gasket on the new ones with oil and spin them on. Then I open the gas cocks and start the engine. I have never had a problem.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I, too, swap them out mid season. After spinning on I simply squeeze the bulb until hard.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
I also spin the new filter on empty, then squeeze up the bulb ,.... I would rather stick with the fuel thats in my tank!

wilson

Reaction score
spin on the new ones and take off the fuel line feed to the motors, push on a section of fuel line long enough to reach the fuel fill and pump the bulb till fuel returns to the tank. then just hook it back up. you can also do this with a small gas can and use a much shorter piece of hose.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Here's what I do - I carry a pint of Sea Foam with me on the boat. When I replace the Fuel Filter, I fill it with the 16 oz. of Sea Foam. Then prime it with the bulb and run the thing at idel for 10 minutes. If you're changing the F. Filter as part of your maintenance routine, then it is also time to do a de-carb. One easy way of doing this is with the above method which introduces a heavily Sea Foamed flow of gas through your injectors and engine - the insides of which will be clean as a whistle after you burn that mixture (preferably at idle). Then, once all this is over, it's not a bad time to replace, or at least clean, your spark plugs as they will get dirty from the de-carb procedure. Make sense?

glemboh

Reaction score
I also just unscrew the old filters oil up the new gaskets and spin the new filters on. Have never expeienced any shortge of fuel since there is still plenty in the engine fuel filter, it`s hoses, and fuel pump to keep the engine going till the new filter is primed. Is the reason for priming just a precaution to prevent starvation ?

striped bass

Reaction score
Not so much starvation as avoiding an air lock in the fuel line. I follow the same procedure as you all have outlined, but I add the fuel to the filter just to be sure. Good to know that if for some reason I can't add the fuel it will be okay to remount the dry filter.