Changing hull color

Lucky13

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with getting the hull redone or changing the color. I saw some older postes on this site of a powder blue 265 express but never got a reply back when I asked the guy about it. Anyone else have anything to share. Would like to know the best methods and cost for something like that. Looking into a 265 express and am thinking about changing the hull color.

Thanks

JeffN

Reaction score
A different color would look nice. I have thought about it but probably won't make the jump. Of the boats I have seen locally all have used Awlgrip or a similar product. Years ago I had a 22' boat that had been painted with some sort of aircraft two part paint by a previous owner. That was the easiest boat to take care of that I have owned, wax it with car wax and buff it out. Maybe 45 minutes tops and it looked great all season.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Either re-gelcoat the boat or paint. New gell is expensive but will take more abuse, paint is much cheaper but a decent scratch will go through it. There's a few paint options but some can be touched up a lot easier than others, Awlgrip is not easily repaired but Awlcraft (and other like it) can be relatively easily repaired. If you're in a marina and the boat may get "rubbed" I wouldn't go the paint route. Getting a nice finish when spraying the whole boat with new gell is not an easy job and you're going to pay for it.

stevblutu15

Reaction score
The powder blue 265 belongs to a friend of mine. The boat was professionally awlgripped in I believe NC before he purchased the boat. The boat is now in NJ and is called ST Barb. Good fisherman. The blue hull is beautiful and if my gel coat was in bad shape I wouldn't hesitate to paint.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Thank you for everyones info

Tight Lines

Lucky13

Reaction score
stevblutu15
would you happen to have any additional pictures of the powder blue 265. I have only been able to find a few.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Didn't gradyfish22 have a blue 265?

JeffN

Reaction score
After reading Grogs post above I went out to where I keep my boat and the local marina and did a bit of dock walking. I saw many examples of both paint and gelcoat. from what I could see the question of how well either held up was more based on color than what was used, gelcoat or paint. I saw plenty of scratched up examples of both and fade was a problem with dark gelcoat colors, but that would be more of how motivated an owner is about care. With both paint and gel the lighter colors looked better and had held up better than darker colors. Scratches in either coating were much more noticable on the darker colors. No worse on paint than gel, both tended to have light colors underneath the finish. I think if I were to recoat I would go with paint and a light color. That light blue is pretty. In regard to fade I think that the paint is much easier to care for on a yearly basis in that one can keep the hull looking sharp with less effort. The tip about using a paint that can be repaired easily is a great one.