Changing out props on 265 Express

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Anyone play with swapping out props on the 265?
My factory props are 17M (stamped on it).
I would give up a little planning time to get a little faster cruising speed.
Thanks in advance
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing so on my boat, I have F225's though and yours had 200HPDI's correct? Yamaha and Grady tested the boat with F225's but with a different prop, one faired better then the other, I may try that prop during the year, I forget what size it was I'll look it up. To really determine if you can go to a different prop and do it properly, run the boat with full fuel and see what rpm it turns up to, this will give a good prop guy or your Yamaha dealer an idea of what may work, it is hard to pick a good prop without playing around or having something to base it off. Also, I know some guys have been using Merc props on their Yamaha's lately and claiming they are performing better, I think Merc has a plan where you pay a small fee and test props until you find the right one for your boat, unless you break or really damage the prop you do not pay until you find the right one, if you damage it you have to pay, might be something to look into, wish Yamaha did something like that.

twinyams265

Reaction score
I have the 2001 265 with 2003 200 hpdi's, boat gets 5700 rpm's religiously, occasionally seeing 5800. This is the case with full fuel tanks and 2-3 persons, top end like this is 44.5 mph. This is spinning 15 1/4 x 17 yamaha stainless props. Gradyfish22, i remember one of your recent posts indicating that we get very similar gas mileage(i believe you have 225 f's). I also had in my possession 15.25 x 19 yamaha stainless, and polished(i believe they were saltwater series). I ran them on the boat and was astonished at how the boat "dropped dead", could not get more than 5000 rpms out of it. The cruise speed at 4000 was around 34 mph as opposed to my normal cruise(with 17's) being around 30 mph, however there was no top end, i think it was around 40. The noise while under full throttle was so heinous, i had to abort mission, go back in, put the 17's back on and enjoy them. When speaking with my prop guy, he and i agreed that the math is not right, in that i should have got around 5400 rpm's with the 19's, but could not. He thinks the props are mismarked, i have sold them since. I was told by yamaha to run props that while at full throttle put the motors at or over 5500 (two strokes).

mronzo

Reaction score
I've got 17m SS props on my t-200 OX-66SWIIs. You could prop yourself to go only slightly faster but you'd lose something under a full load.
I don't really know how to explain it well but my '00 265 will go 40mph
WOT whether I'm running light or fully loaded, 3-4 guys, ice, bait 200 gals of gas!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I have never pushed my throttles past 4600rpm......
I would certainly be interested in trying the 19's..... I usually cruise at 3,800 to 4,200 rpm....
You mentioned you ran the 19's but didnt like the WOT.... would it damage anything to run them if I never go over 4500???? I see 30 at 4K RPM so I wonder if 18's would be good?!?!
Anyone try 4 blades? This seems like a taboo science.....
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Interesting stuff here, I may have to look into this more, I have a buddy who has a 265 Express with F225's also who isn't a member of the site, I will have to see what he runs. I have seen something similar to twinyam's, I get roughly the same top end if I am lightly loaded of fully loaded, but it does take more time to accelerate and get on top when full. I usually cruise my boat at about 4k and see about 29mph, sometimes I go to 4200, I did get a top end around 42.3mph with 3/4 fuel and 4 guys onboard, trying to outrun a T storm, that was in a stacked 3ft shop. IMHO, too much speed for where I fish, there is often wood and other crap in the water, so until I get to open water and head offshore I can't use speeds over 32-33mph anyways, and when I head offshore it is an 85+nm run for me so I need to run at cruise and be efficient. I agree, top end would not be my concern, but a higher cruise speed would maybe be nice at a similar fuel burn, I think this is more of what FishingFinattic is looking for. I agree with what twin yams says, you ideally want you end to achieve 5500 or more, under that puts you at the low power spectra, you may be within the max rpm range, but you are really losing power that would be nice to have.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
gradyfish22 said:
when I head offshore it is an 85+nm run for me so I need to run at cruise and be efficient.

We run to the same area and if I can cruise at 4000rpm and be running 33mph instread of 29, that will give me another half hour to fish!!!
As it sits now, I am running over three hours, fishing for six hours and running over three back! :shock: :shock:

Or spending the night....

Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I almost always spend the night unless it is really early season and the night bite is totally dead and not worth it, If that is the case we run out at 3:30am, start trolling at 6:30-7am, and will troll until about 3:00pm, then head in. Gives me a 8 hour troll time. If I overnight we leave around 11am, arrive a little after 2pm, troll until 6:30 or 7, depending on condition's, how far we are from where we plan to overnight, and what the bite is like. We chunk until first light, or until the bite dies, then usually work our way back to the tip of the canyon and work some temp breaks and then head for the barn. I prefer to overnight, but weather is a big factor in that, but you really maximize your fishing time overnighting. I do not always run right at cruise, last season I avg around 31-32mph when running offshore, but if I were to run further south I would need to run right around 29mph. I will run at a fast cruise as long as I am monitoring the fuel management, I calculate my max burn I will allow on the run out and try to stay under that by a bit. Being able to cruise a little faster is why I started looking into changing my props, I could careless about top end, I want a slightly higher and more efficient cruise for my long runs like this.

twinyams265

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic, i also am not concerned with the top end, but yamaha and the prop guy both agree that running props that only yield 5000 rpm's will strain the motors. This is the part i don't quite understand, i also asked them "if i only run at 4000 rpm's , will i hurt anything ?". I was told the motors will be working too hard. I have not looked at any more props, but i would like a pair that puts me at 5400 rpm, i also seek greater cruise speed / efficiency. Please let me know what you guys find out.

atdesignco

Reaction score
Anyone successful switch to 18s or try 19s to see what the numbers are?

Looking to replace mine this spring on 01 265 w/ 01 HPDI and was curious what the consensus is?
-thx any input appreciated

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed post. I have a 2004 265 w/ F225s. Not my favorite engines, but that's a story for another day. When I bought the boat 4 years ago it had 15 1/4 x 17 Yam Saltwater series (not 2) props. Engines over-revved (>6000 RPM) and it didn't seem right. Bought 15 1/4 x 19 SWS (not 2) and it's the perfect match. Revs to the max when lightly loaded and I got better fuel economy (just about 2 mpg at cruise, 29 mph) and slightly better top end (48 mph). My hull isn't as deep vee as the earlier models so this may impact my observed performance. Hope this helps.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
"if i only run at 4000 rpm's , will i hurt anything ?".
Short of the long answer is you will eventually overheat and/or melt something. Why? Just because your engine is turning 4k rpms with different props doesn't mean the engine is being subjected to the same load. Bigger prop or more pitch means you will need more torque/power and more fuel to stay at 4k. More fuel = more heat and lousy mpg!

Drive you car at 4k rpms with the lightest load possible and look at your fuel consumption. Do the same with 5000 lbs behind it and check again. You would be doing the same or worse for your outboard with too much prop!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Experimenting with props eventually ends with learning the torque curves from the manufacturer. These are plotted charts of torque output, fuel use and HP at different RPM's. As a newer boater, I learned to obey these manufacturer indexes after I blew up one of the two 4.3L chevy on my 30 Bayliner.... previous owner had propped it for hole shot and didn't carry the weight I did, and it never reached WOT, so at any RPM the engine was "behind the curve" and always overloaded. This caused massive engine failure, tuliped valves, and eventually I let the smoke out. (Remember, smoke stays IN the engine if you want it to run correctly. NEVER LET THE SMOKE OUT).

I would not recommend learning the torque curves the hard way. Keep the smoke in, and download the torque curve graphs from your manufacturer when you experiment.

My 2c.

captain swag

Reaction score
I have a 2001 265 with twin 2011 225 Merc Optis. I have gone to 17 pitch Rev 4's. Had a ventilation problem and these cured it without loss of top speed. Fairly consistant milage of 2.0-2.5 mpg at cruise. Holeshot is amazing.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
I am currently dealing with what i'm going to do with my props on my 00 265 with HPDIs. I have a ding in one blade an i have hair line cracks in almost every other blade on both sides. I took them to a prop shop that said that they could re weld the cracking but it would most likely return. I have been looking at different prop manufactures and none of them are cheap! I priced out a set from Boats Inc in Niantic CT who is a Yamaha and Grady dealer. 15 1/2 x 17 left and right rotation retails for 650.00 a pop. These are stainless steel. I have not pulled the trigger on them yet, still searching for a better deal. :hmm

captain swag

Reaction score
Get on the THT Forum , Parts section. This time of year alot of props come up for sale as people are commisioning boats and trying different props. I found two Rev 4 props in 19 that didn't work as well as I planned and was able to trade them with a Dealer that I am friends with for two new 17's. The 19's were in that good of shape. Contact Ken at Prop Gods (Google them) in addition to great advice, they frequently have used props. Think 4 blade, the lift to the stern is great and acceleration is improved. Handling in close quaters improves also.

captain swag

Reaction score
There is a beautiful labbed set of 18 Mirages onTHT this morning with new hubs in box's for 550.00 Now that's a deal.

Rosstafari

Reaction score
4 blades huh? Anyone run 4 blades on their 256 with hpdis? would love some feed back.. A little lift in the asss end is never a bad thing no matter what we are talking about :wink:

captain swag

Reaction score
The Mirages I mentioned above are three blades and I have run them on our 265 in 19 and in 17. in anything but perfect seas the 17's ventilated after running awhile requiring me to throttle down tilt motors down and get back on plane again. The 4 blade Rev 4's eliminated the problem entirely. With the benifit of better handling in close quaters. Theoreticly it should be the same with any two stroke I would think. Power bands are pretty much the same. Now if it was a four stroke that would be a different matter. Don't rely on my word though, I have been messing with boats for only thirty something years and am still learning, hoping to someday figure it all out.

Reactions: vocz

vocz

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
The Mirages I mentioned above are three blades and I have run them on our 265 in 19 and in 17. in anything but perfect seas the 17's ventilated after running awhile requiring me to throttle down tilt motors down and get back on plane again. The 4 blade Rev 4's eliminated the problem entirely. With the benifit of better handling in close quaters. Theoreticly it should be the same with any two stroke I would think. Power bands are pretty much the same. Now if it was a four stroke that would be a different matter. Don't rely on my word though, I have been messing with boats for only thirty something years and am still learning, hoping to someday figure it all out.
What is MPG you get with the Revolution 4 17p. I am looking to switch my Yamaha 17 pitch because of venting. 2003 265 express f225.