Changing Thru Hull

trackah

Reaction score
Guys, I'm considering upgrading the fishfinder in my 2002 Voyager. I currently have an Airmar B117 thru hull transducer that I'm told will not work with newer technology fishfinders.

This means that i will have to make another hole in the hull to mount a new transducer which really does not excite me at all. Has anyone been able to successfully remove an existing transducer and mount a new one in its place?

Thanks
Trackah

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
trackah said:
Guys, I'm considering upgrading the fishfinder in my 2002 Voyager. I currently have an Airmar B117 thru hull transducer that I'm told will not work with newer technology fishfinders.

This means that i will have to make another hole in the hull to mount a new transducer which really does not excite me at all. Has anyone been able to successfully remove an existing transducer and mount a new one in its place?

Thanks
Trackah

Yes. Was that all you wanted to know? :)

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hahaha....Dennis, that's too funny. Kinda reminds me of my old English teachers comments about some of my writing.

trackah

Reaction score
Thanks Dennis,
Sorry for being so cryptic. I guess what i was looking to find out was is it a feasible option? If it is any tips on doing the job or should this be left to the professionals. i consider myself pretty handy with most maintenance tasks but i don't want to open any potential cans of worms that effect dig ass holes in the hull.

Any and all insight from folks who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fishtales

Reaction score
Just my 2 pennies. I would leave it to a professional. The last thing you need is a deep hull leak on the water. They should know if you can use the same location or not as well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Generally, I agree with Fishtales line of thinking. This is one of those areas that if you have to ask how to do it, it's probably best not to do it. But... first, "hopefully" someone didn't use 5200 as that's the wrong application for it. Hopefully. :) Second, is your new ducer the same size as the old one? If it's bigger or smaller, it can still be done (with bigger being easier) - but would need to know that info.

Absolutely Nothing

Reaction score
Installing new electronics on my 2004 Marlin. I did not feel comfortable doing the thru hull thing and hired my marina to do the job. Good thing, the new transducer is a smaller diameter than the old. They pulled the old one out and filled the hole. Basic procedure for filling the hole, from my observation and talking with the guy doing the job is to grind down both sides, outside and inside the hull, start filling with some cardboard support from below and fill, remove cardboard and grind, fiberglass the bottom with several coats of fiberglass, finish the fill and glass the top, smooth out all, barrier coat the bottom, gel coat inside the hull, re-drilll the new hole and install the new transducer, repaint the bottom. Don't hold me to all of this, but if you have any questions, let me know and I will discuss with the marina since the job is still in progress.