Chartplotter Help

runeme

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my old garmin 198c. I have it down to 2 units, the Garmin 4212 and the Raymarine c120. I like the Garmin, but the sales guy at West Marine said the Garmin came out in 07 and is pretty slow. I played with the c120 at the store and it seemed faster. I don't plan on adding radar anytime soon, but I will add the sounder. Anyone that has tried either or both, I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks for any help.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have you looked at the new Std Horizon cp590? I'm real impressed with it (I played with the 390 and am leaning hard toward upgrading my Garmin 492 with one.) Another option would be the Simrad NSE

I'm guessing the Garmin 740 didn't have a big enough screen?

cgmiller

Reaction score
Runeme,

I have used both and my father has a standard horizon...The Garmins like your 198C have by far the easiest operating system. I am not familiar with the 4212. I had a C120 in a boat for 3 years along with a Garmin 198C and an older GPS Map 215...I used the Garmins for my primary navigation units since I knew them back and forth, etc. The C120 had an incredible picture and was the best sounder I have used. The plotter took some getting used to and once I figured out how to display the info that I wanted in the user-programable windows, it was better. I am all Garmin now except for the sounder on the big Grady..bought a 6" Raymarine for her this spring..my Mako has 2 garmins, both cars and I have 2 garmins on the Grady...plus a handheld..