Chase to Seafarer bow pulpit and railing

Koz54

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a bow pulpit with railing on my 1999 Seafarer 226.

Would anyone know if one from a Chase would fit without too much of an issue? What is the railing diameter of the Chase? I am unsure of the year / model of the Chase.

Sailfish

Reaction score
I think it would be too big. The Chase has 6" of beam and 5' of length on the Seafarer

Koz54

Reaction score
The only part of the Chase railing I would use is the part around the pulpit to the first tee on my boat. So I don't think the length is a concern.

The width might be, but I don't see an issue with bending the pipe slightly if I need to.

My concern / question is the railing outside diameter. The Seafarer is 7/8". I don't know what the OD of the Chase railing is. I could easily make 1" work by making/welding an adapter but anything bigger than that would look 'silly' in my opinion.

DownUnder

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I am thinking of putting a bow pulpit with railing on my 1999 Seafarer 226.

Would anyone know if one from a Chase would fit without too much of an issue? What is the railing diameter of the Chase? I am unsure of the year / model of the Chase.
I can't think that there will be much of a difference but would like to know for future reference. Where will you get the pulpit from? It might be something I would like to do aswell.

Reactions: Koz54

Koz54

Reaction score
I don't see much of a difference either. The Seafarer is the one in the water.

Several people I know that I am thinking of adding a pulpit to my boat. Been thinking about it for a year, action time is approaching. A friend who also has a Seafarer 226 is looking to do the same. We've been asking around and someone came up with this idea and knows a guy who parted out a Chase. I will get some measurements off the Chase this weekend and determine if I can make it fit legit.

Looks like the same exact pulpit to me, might need some fine tuning but that won't be an issue.

Attachments

• pulpit, Chase.jpg
    pulpit, Chase.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Pulpit, Seafarer 228.jpg
    Pulpit, Seafarer 228.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: hooked on Grady

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I wouldn’t be surprised if it bow rail would fit as is. The Gulfstream and the Seafarer bow pulpit, bow rail extensions are the same item.

Koz54

Reaction score
I can't think that there will be much of a difference but would like to know for future reference. Where will you get the pulpit from? It might be something I would like to do aswell.

I found the pulpit on Craig's List. Funny thing is I just drove up to CT purchased the pulpit and railing this past Saturday. The seller initially sold it to an Aussie! Since you are from Down Under I thought that funny. Anyway, the seller shipped it to Australia but it got refused at customs there and returned. He relisted it on Craig's List for $350. I didn't initial notice it there but the seller texted me the next day to see if I was interested. The original price a few months ago was $300.

I let him know I was absolutely interested. We made arrangements to meet and he kept the price at $300 since it was he originally asked for it. That was last Sunday-Monday. When I met the seller he showed me several texts from different people interested in the rail and pulpit. Two of them got into a bidding war to be in second place if my deal fell through. Highest bid was $650.

The seller is a very good man of his word. He could have blown me off and sold it for double what I paid. Kind of restored my faith in humanity for a while.

Koz54

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if it bow rail would fit as is. The Gulfstream and the Seafarer bow pulpit, bow rail extensions are the same item.

I think you might be right! Size wise it looks to be a direct fit. I am unsure if my existing railing is one piece on each side or not. Not a big deal if I have to cut it and that seam will be hidden inside the fitting. I'll know once I start taking it apart.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think you might be right! Size wise it looks to be a direct fit. I am unsure if my existing railing is one piece on each side or not. Not a big deal if I have to cut it and that seam will be hidden inside the fitting. I'll know once I start taking it apart.
Pretty sure you will need to cut the existing rail. Does the pulpit bow rail have extensions on the ends to slot into the existing bow rail?

DownUnder

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I found the pulpit on Craig's List. Funny thing is I just drove up to CT purchased the pulpit and railing this past Saturday. The seller initially sold it to an Aussie! Since you are from Down Under I thought that funny. Anyway, the seller shipped it to Australia but it got refused at customs there and returned. He relisted it on Craig's List for $350. I didn't initial notice it there but the seller texted me the next day to see if I was interested. The original price a few months ago was $300.

I let him know I was absolutely interested. We made arrangements to meet and he kept the price at $300 since it was he originally asked for it. That was last Sunday-Monday. When I met the seller he showed me several texts from different people interested in the rail and pulpit. Two of them got into a bidding war to be in second place if my deal fell through. Highest bid was $650.

The seller is a very good man of his word. He could have blown me off and sold it for double what I paid. Kind of restored my faith in humanity for a while.
Hey K

The seller is a very good man of his word. He could have blown me off and sold it for double what I paid. Kind of restored my faith in humanity for a while

Hey Koz, he is indeed a great guy! Happy he sold it to you!

Koz54

Reaction score
I mounted the pulpit and railing last night. Nothing is final, but it is properly fit and snug. It went very smoothly. Cut my rail in two places under the tee and slid the bow rail in. Very minor amount of bending was necessary top keep it from 'springing'. I had to shorten the stanchions on the pulpit railing by about 1" for a nice fit. Had to move the tees on the bow rail too, no big deal. Actually I will cut new tubes for these since the old ones are dinged up from the anchor chain. Plan now is to make a backing plate tonight, cut the new stanchions, and polish everything.

Then I'll remove the pulpit and drop it off tomorrow or Friday to get the minor dings and stress cracks repaired then a new gel coat. The company I will use does great work. When I spoke to the owner on the phone he was not liking my plan. My original plan was to do all the minor glass work needed, repair the cracks, and then sand it all down ready for gel coat. He didn't like that because he said some folks do more harm than good and he then has to repair that. I am mechanical (machinist) and did auto body work for a few years so I think that I would do it correctly, but I decided to let them do it all. Over the phone price was $400 or so.

Apparently Whitecap skene bow chocks are a rare item nowadays. I finally found a chrome plated pair on eBay. I'll keep my eyes open for the solid stainless steel ones.

All new hardware was ordered today and the only issue I had was finding the 3/8"-16 truss head screws the length I need in 316 stainless. I found (and ordered) them in 8-18 stainless. Our distributor won't even give me an approximate lead time for the 316 screws. They have no idea when they will get them.

Overall I am very happy with this addition. It really changes the look of the boat!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 28
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 26
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 28

Koz54

Reaction score
I picked up the pulpit yesterday and installed it last night. Every thing is final, only thing left to do is caulk the exterior all around. I'll leave that to a friend who has skills for that sort of finishing work. I do not. It came out well. The color is more the newer Grady White white but it looks brand new. He did a great job with the non skid. Hard to see in the photos. It will look different outside. LED lighting there has a particular hue.

Attachments

• F-1.jpg
    F-1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 15
  • f-2.jpg
    f-2.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 15
  • f-4.jpg
    f-4.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 14
  • f-5.jpg
    f-5.jpg