Cheap Ring Free

richie rich

Reaction score
why is there a 6 month shelf life on an open container of Yamalube? Or any other oil/lubricant? It doesn't absorb water like brake fluid...

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
richie rich said:
why is there a 6 month shelf life on an open container of Yamalube? Or any other oil/lubricant? It doesn't absorb water like brake fluid...

ask the oil companies on that one

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It's common sense, how do they know you will be reapplying the cap properly, hence the original foil seal, in part.

Just like loosing carbination, some people don't tighten caps. I grew up with a sibling who never took a turn on a cap, just placed it in top maybe 1/2 turn, how many times I picked up containers and lost the cap and fluid! He probably did it because I was always tightening the cap perhaps too much!

Caps not tightened also promote dripping foreign matter entry depending on where stored, like stored in a milk crate out in open on deck or side of garage!

Same goes for all motor products like oil, etc.

JOSH S

Reaction score
The 2 quarts I ordered just arrived a few minutes ago. That was pretty good turnaround time. 48 hours or less from the time I ordered to the time it was delivered.

Pauleye

Reaction score
Cheap Ringfree

Andy has fielded many phone calls from me and answered all my questions on my new-to-me Yamaha F250 before I ever placed an order from him. I did and will continue to order all my supplies from him. The extra pennies I pay for Ring Free is more than a bargain for what I get in return.

Andy will get my spring order in March.

richie rich

Reaction score
As far as 6 month shelf life, where is that marked on the bottle? If oil was that easy to spoil it would be mandated by API to be identified as so for the consumer to see. And every OEM engine, machine, equipment etc would need to specify, on the container, the owners manual and/or MSDS to use only fluid less than 6 months old if opened or you would void a warranty if a failure would occur. Fluids like gear oil in a differential are specified to be changed anywhere between 30-100k miles...that can take years. It would be sitting only 1/3 full in a case with air and moisture all around it for that whole time, yet a half empty quart of clean fluid in its original bottle with the original cap should be deemed not suitable for use? The owners manual for the GW/Yamaha says to top off the oil tanks over the winter storage....these are open to atmosphere from November till the following June, at which time the 5 gallons of $30/gal oil should be dumped for fresh fluid? Oil is not soluble in water, does not absorb water and is non reactive in its container. Brake fluid on the other hand is glycol based and will absorb water, hence the need to use fresh material.......I got to respectfully disagree on that one.....if an oil supplier/manufacturer is telling service shops that this is true, it should also be noted everywhere for a consumer who would use the product...and it isn't.

richie rich

Reaction score
JIT, I understand thats what Yamaha tells their techs that...but here is an answer from an oil manufacturer......5 years......it makes sense

Ask Mobil
What's the Shelf Life on Opened Bottles of Mobil 1?

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you’ve always wanted to know about using our products. We’ll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. We'll share the questions and their answers here.

Question:
What's the Shelf Life on Opened Bottles of Mobil 1?
I could not find an exact answer in the FAQs. I did read that Mobil 1 has a maximum shelf life of 5 years for un-opened containers. Is this true also for opened containers? I have a quart of Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15W-50) that is eight months old, kept in a cool dry place and was wondering if is still good to use and what is the shelf-life on open containers? Thank you very much!!
-- Eric Bush, Chino, CA

Answer:
An 8-month-old oil, even opened, should work well in your engine. As long as the bottle is capped and kept dry, the product is safe to use for up to 5 years. Keeping it cool and dry are the key conditions to control degradation and additive drop-out.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
OK

but add a wet marine environment to that equation

because if you do not have extra oil on the boat, nows a good time

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
And they sold out besides going list price, probably had 4 bottles on shelf.

Yamaha factory/distributor rep may have "reprimanded" derby.

Yamalube 2M was 18 bucks a gallon, has that been doubled too?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This gives me an idea.

I've got a couple of motorcyle/ATV businesses in my area, I may go shopping to see what marine goodies I find !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
E10 fuel additive in Ringfree ?

We can use all the help we can with E10!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is the ratio the same or do we now have to add more ?

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

jellyfish

Reaction score
BobP said:
E10 fuel additive in Ringfree ?

We can use all the help we can with E10!
Yes thats why it went up from $12 dollars 12oz bottle to $17 dollars. Its new I have 5 bottles (never opened) that I have left over from buying from Andy at SIM early last year and he will not take them back or credit me even if I buy the new stuff. I don't understand but maybe it does have a short life??

jellyfish

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
I had ask Andy about shelf life on ring free and Yamalube, he said there isn't any, at least for a few years.
If thats the case why can't I return it?