Check your scuppers

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Decided yesterday that we would go out in the kayaks and paddleboards to play around in the harbor during low tide. Let the kids play in the mud, dig up clams, look for sea life, etc. Well while out there we stopped at the boat for a bit since it is on a mooring. While on the boat I noticed it had a lot of bird poop near the bow so I started to clean it some. While I was doing that my wife was brushing the sides of the boat below the water line. In doing so she noticed that there was more water than usual at the stern in the boat. Not a lot mind you, in fact, not much at all, but it was present. So I made my way to the swim platform and started scrubbing away a ton of growth off the engine mount, trim tabs, and scuppers. In doing so I also pulled back the flap on the scuppers and reached inside them with my fingers. I found some very small barnacles which I was able to scrape off with my fingernail but also something slimy. I managed to get it out, pull it up on deck and realized it was fish eggs. They were on both sides and preventing everything from draining properly. My hands are now all cut up but it was worth the effort.

Just like they say in the ads that my wife followed, "If you see something, say something" and it's a good thing she did.

1657537915281.png

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Absolutely!

I paint the inside of the scupper tubes (best I can) with anti-foul paint. I just kinda slop it in there - sometimes with something as simple as some rolled up paper towels.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Absolutely!

I paint the inside of the scupper tubes (best I can) with anti-foul paint. I just kinda slop it in there - sometimes with something as simple as some rolled up paper towels.
I never have previously but will look into doing so next spring. Typically I buy the Trilux spray but maybe I'll get a roll on instead so I can do that.