chesapeake 290

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Hi all first off im new to this site. Im in the market for a new boat. My previous boat was a 2001 Carolina classic 25 that I just recently sold. I really liked the boat but I didn't like the inboard power, after owning it I missed outboards. I have been on a few gradys when I was younger but cant remember the model but I remember them being nice boats. So now im in search of my next boat and was considering a grady. I like the exspress or walk around type versus a cc for the weather protection and the cabin for storage and overnight capabilities. I was looking and really like the 290 Chesapeake. Any info on how this boat is would be appreciated. Also what model replaced the Chesapeake and what other models should I be looking at. I will be trailering the boat so keep that into consideration thanks.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
265 express is a perfect replacement for your Carolina 25. I was considering a Carolina (because they are beautiful) but didn't like the inboard and resulting lack of space and fuel.

265 has twins mounted to transom with a "tailgate". No bracket or platform in the way. You can fish over the motors.
Lots of room, I would say more than any other model. When fishing it feels like you are on a big inboard express. Giant fish box. Carries 250 gals of gas.
Center helm is AWESOME!

9' 7" beam 5400 pounds dry but with the hard top and gas and the normal stuff you are talking 7k+. So its not an easy trailer but guys do it.
Your Carolina was no lightweight either.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
thanks for the reply skunkboat, as far as ride goes versus my classic I would assume it wont be quite as soft because of the shallower dead rise but would the 265 be more friendly at a drift or trolling. The Carolina like to rock and roll a lot!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you say "trailering", what state are you in and what are the laws in regards to over-width trailering? In PA, 8'6" is the max without needing a permit. There are some people that do it, even without the permit - but just mentioning this so you're aware. I assume you have the proper tow vehicle? Be sure to add engine, fuel, water, batteries, gear, optional accessories and trailer weight to the "dry weight". Then look for that number to be about no more than 80% of your vehicles max rating.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
Thanks for your concern but I am aware of the law here in north Carolina. 9'6" can be towed anytime day or night and anything between 9'6" and 10' can be towed anytime during day just not at night without a permit. And yes I have the proper tow vehicle. I was thinking of getting a cat also so if I get a mono hull ill prolly go with the 265 exspress

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, good. We never can tell by a simple post on a forum whether a person has experience or knows the regs. I wish PA would up their game - I think they're a bit behind in terms of boat widths as boats are getting wider given the same length. I think a lot of states are still at the 8'6", actually.

I'm hesitant to give an opinion on a boat for you, though - there's so many variables that we're not aware of and no one knows better than you as to what your wants/needs are for the style boating you're going to do.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go check out a 265 looks an sounds like it's the perfect match for my needs

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I believe the chesapeake was the replacement for the sailfish. I do know that it had a very short production run. This may have been due to the lack of sales and/or Grady's transition to more dual console models. Or potentially buyers just jumped up to the marlin. I do remember reading somewhere there were ride issues but cannot confirm nor deny this.

As a previous 265 owner, I can say nothing bad about the boat. I liked it so much I upgraded to her big sister.

capeguy

Reaction score
The Chesapeake replaced the Sailfish somewhere around 2010 or so. I understood the main reason to add a foot, was to enable a generator to be located in the stern area, where it wouldn't fit on the Sailfish. Beautiful boat, there is one on my dock and as a Sailfish owner, I see the difference. I think it is too close to the Marlin and thats probably why it didn't last. The Marlin at 30' is a much bigger boat than either the Sailfish or Chesapeake.

Depending on how new you are looking, the last years of the Sailfish (I have an '06) are great boats. Much more boat than the 265. If you want newer, the Chesapeake is a very good option.

southernstyle995

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a sailfish 282 now. What kind of fuel burn do you get with yours. I do like the 265 layout better. Wish grady would come back out with it.

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Our 2002 282 Sailfish burn with F225 four strokes, clean bottom, light to moderate load, will cruise at 26 knots, 14-15gph, so better than 1.5mpg (typically we bump around the bay at 1.6-1.7mpg) up to about 30 knots. I've never actually seen more than 2mpg sustained, and that's intermittent even in perfect cruising conditions. Tops out at or just shy of 40 knots at 5800-5900 rpm, depending on how perfect a sea state, wind, and load, but then you're down under 1mpg.

I think ultimately the advantage of the Sailfish is the number of boats built (availability, market) and the history the model has . . . where there's a cult following and more limited supply of 265 Express, and 290 Chesapeake is just downright rare.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
It seems to me if you are looking at the Chesapeake, you might as well consider the Marlin while you're at it. I wish Grady still made the Sailfish. It was between the Sailfish and Marlin for my one day boat. Have fun in your quest.

capeguy

Reaction score
Wow Sharkbait, I don't approach those numbers. I have an '06 with Twin F225s, bottom paint. Optimal is about 4300 rpm or so and about 28mph. Trimmed perfectly in calm waters with light load and fuel, I might hit 1.6mpg on the Yamaha meters. Verify with GPS and flow...

Normally 1.4mpg ish...

Fishtales

Reaction score
Said this before, I was told not to consider the 290. It just wasn't a solid performing boat per folks that should know.