Chronic fuel flow issues - SOLVED

Bullstanky

Reaction score
Gents,

While I am new to this forum, I've been on the water my entire life and I've been the proud owner of a classic 1977 Grady White 204-c overnighter since 2006. And ever since I've owned her I've been plauged by chronic fuel flow issues. The previous owner (I am the third) had her for about 20 years and put a new evinrude 200 on her in 1990. I've recently replaced the power pack, timer base, plugs, plug wires and impeller--when she's connected to an external tank she runs like a top.

But as you might imagine, a 3 gallon external tank doesn't get you very far with a 22 year old carbureted 2 stroke sucking down unleaded like a thirsty thoroughbred--which of course is why Grady built this little battle wagon with a 60 gallon internal tank. A 60 gallon internal tank that I'd very much like to use. But every time I connect to it I have fuel flow issues.

Here's what happens; I fill up the tank, prime the lines and start the engine. She runs and idles fine. She'll run fine all day long at trolling speeds and will accelerate up on plane and get going--but sometimes after getting up on plane for a bit she starts to get fuel starved and can't maintain engine speed. If i don't throttle back she'll stall out. Typically when this happens the primer bulb is either sucked together from the vacuum or now that i've installed a new, more rigid bulb, is full, but can't get enough suction to move fuel up from the tank without feeling like it is really pulling slowly. This has happened intermittently the whole time I've owned her and has really frustrated me to no end. Twice now I've taken the deck up, pumped the tank dry, blown air through the fuel and vent lines, swabbed the inside of the tank with paper towels to collect any sediment and put it all back together. And I know what you're thinking, "Well if you did all of that correctly, she should be running just fine." ......tell me about it.....

This tends to happen when the tank gets 3/4 full or less, and in rough water, which sounds like it could be from sediment, but I don't know where the clog is, unless it is in the pickup tube.... Behind the pickup tube now lives a 2O micron filter, and electric primer pump (that isn't strong enough to move the fuel through when I have problems) and a fuel/water separater with a new 10 micron element--both the filters are translucent and are full of clean fuel--no gunk or clogs.

All I can figure is that either the tube keeps getting clogged ( or has some dirty element I don't know about) and I need to tap the tank and add a new one, or that the vent (because it is at the aft end of the tank, intermittently gets sloshed with fuel in rough water or when I'm up on a plane and slowly creates enough vacuum to cause the fuel flow problems, though I think it is more likely the former than the latter because there is no suction when I open the fuel fill when this happens, and the primer bulb remains slow and ineffective with the cap off the fuel fill.

Does anyone know if there is an element somewhere in my pickup tube, and/or how to get to it to clean it? (I've blown air back through the tube and can hear it bubbling in the tank, so if there is an element it must be occasionally getting clogged with something that diminishes flow, but not entirely.

If no element in the tube, what could it be? What is the best way to add a new pickup tube? Anybody got any ideas?

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Chronic fuel flow issues - please help before I go crazy

Have you run with the fuel fill cover off?
If you still get the problem, you can be sure it is not a vent issue.
It could be a bad fuel line that is colapsing internally. It could be a bad anti-siphon valve also.
It could be something as simple as a leaf or other material that gets sucked up against the pickup tube.
The good news is that thje bulb colapses. That at least isolates the problem upstream from the bulb to the tank.
If the fule lines have not been changed in a long time, I would do so. It can't hurt.

Bullstanky

Reaction score

I pulled the lines off just before the primer bulb yesterday so I could connect an external tank to run her over to the boat ramp to pull her out of the water. Before I connected the external tank I hit the electric primer pump for a bit to see how much fuel it was able to move, and all that came throug was a trickle--much less than when I installed the pump the other day, so definitely a clog in the pick up tube...or could be the fuel line, though it is a fairly new alcohol resistant line. Definitely not a vacuum issue because the boat had been sitting at the dock for hours, and yet the pump still coukdn't move any fuel.

It's looking like I'm going to have to pull up the deck and get inside the tank for the third time is as many years to get at whatever is causing the restriction, though I swabbed the inside of the tank clean each of the previous times (gunk must be hiding behind the baffles?). This time I'm going to run something solid (a clothes hanger?) down the pickup tube and see if I run into anything (I've heard some have small disk shaped metal filter elements in them that can get clogged). I'm also going to cut a hole in the deck and add an inspection plate to make the process easier in the future, though I'm hoping not to have to use it. I'd do the same to the tank so I don't have to remove the sender each time I want to get in the tank, but don't feel to good about using power tools on even an empty tank--good way to lose your eyebrows...or worse.

seasick

Reaction score

Bullstanky said:
I pulled the lines off just before the primer bulb yesterday so I could connect an external tank to run her over to the boat ramp to pull her out of the water. Before I connected the external tank I hit the electric primer pump for a bit to see how much fuel it was able to move, and all that came throug was a trickle--much less than when I installed the pump the other day, so definitely a clog in the pick up tube...or could be the fuel line, though it is a fairly new alcohol resistant line. Definitely not a vacuum issue because the boat had been sitting at the dock for hours, and yet the pump still coukdn't move any fuel.

It's looking like I'm going to have to pull up the deck and get inside the tank for the third time is as many years to get at whatever is causing the restriction, though I swabbed the inside of the tank clean each of the previous times (gunk must be hiding behind the baffles?). This time I'm going to run something solid (a clothes hanger?) down the pickup tube and see if I run into anything (I've heard some have small disk shaped metal filter elements in them that can get clogged). I'm also going to cut a hole in the deck and add an inspection plate to make the process easier in the future, though I'm hoping not to have to use it. I'd do the same to the tank so I don't have to remove the sender each time I want to get in the tank, but don't feel to good about using power tools on even an empty tank--good way to lose your eyebrows...or worse.

A partially full tank is much more dangerous than a full one. An empty tank (drained) is actually a bomb. It's the vapors that are the issue not the liquid.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I don't see why you're running the 20 micron before the 10 micron filet/separator, just the 10 would be enough. The actual pick-up is just a tube, the anti-siphion is on top of the tank. It could be a partially collapsed or crushed line. If the lines are old replace them (fuel and vent), the inside could have issues from Ethanol even though the outside looks OK. If you blow into the fuel fill is there any backpressure? There may be a partial clog in vent fitting (some bug may have made a home there). If you're sure the lines are OK it's easy to replace the anti-siphon valve, it's right where the hose barb is on the tank.

Bullstanky

Reaction score

seasick said:
A partially full tank is much more dangerous than a full one. An empty tank (drained) is actually a bomb. It's the vapors that are the issue not the liquid.

I'd say both are equally capable of making your day a bad one--while an empty tank is just highly volatile vapors, a 1/2 full tank is 1/2 highly volatile vapors and 1/2 highly combustible liquid that will produce more highly volatile vapors...

Curmudgeon

Reaction score

Do the easy the easy stuff first. Pull out the anti-siphon valve and either ream it out to remove the ball and spring, or just replace with as barb fitting, blow some air through the line (gently with vent hose in place, harder with fill cap rmoved). Then start pulling filters out of line one at a time ... :wink:

Bullstanky

Reaction score

Grog said:
I don't see why you're running the 20 micron before the 10 micron filet/separator, just the 10 would be enough. The actual pick-up is just a tube, the anti-siphion is on top of the tank.

Anti-siphon - that's that nugget of genius I was looking for. That's basically the only piece of the fuel system that I haven't cleaned, reamed or replaced, and at around 35 years old, I bet it's crusty. Any need to replace it with another anti-siphon instead of just a barb, seeing as my system runs uphill through the filter to the engine?

Btw, the 20 micron is just a $5 dollar job that I put ahead of the primer pump to keep it from getting gunked up and so I could get a visual on the fuel flow coming directly from the tank to help assess my issue.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Is the anti-siphon absolutely needed? If the line dips below the tank anywhere you have the possibility of an issue. They're cheap and easy to replace, I'd replace it.

I use the clear bowl Racor filters, it lets you see what's flowing (or settling).

gw204

Reaction score

Drain the tank, pull it out, take it to a recycler and let them give you $30 or so for it. Spend the $30 on beer. You'll need it when you go to install your NEW tank.

Seriously, if you are still running on the original tank, you are way past due for a new one. I got a very good price on a new 92 gallon tank for my 227 from Sunrise Marine Tanks in FL.

-new tank
-all new lines if they are 5 years old or older
-ditch the anti-siphon valve. I believe they are only required in an I/O or inboard setup where the inlet to the carb or fuel pump is lower than the top of the tank (or something like that).
-new OEM primer bulb
-10 micron filter

My Dad had a similar problem on his '77 204 back in 80's. Evidently there was a screen on the bottom of the pickup tube that was getting clogged. He removed the fittings and used dowel rod to punch out the screen. Never had a problem after that.

Bullstanky

Reaction score

gw204 said:
My Dad had a similar problem on his '77 204 back in 80's. Evidently there was a screen on the bottom of the pickup tube that was getting clogged. He removed the fittings and used dowel rod to punch out the screen. Never had a problem after that.

That is the other possible culprit on my list - I'm going to ream out the pickup tube with a stiff wire and see if I run in to anything.

gw204

Reaction score

Don't ream too hard. If you have significant corrosion on the bottom of the tank under the pickup tube, you could punch a hole in it.

I still think you should bite the bullet and replace the tank. At the very least drain it and pull it out for a thorough inspection.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

gw204 said:
Drain the tank, pull it out, take it to a recycler and let them give you $30 or so for it. Spend the $30 on beer. You'll need it when you go to install your NEW tank.

Seriously, if you are still running on the original tank, you are way past due for a new one. I got a very good price on a new 92 gallon tank for my 227 from Sunrise Marine Tanks in FL.

-new tank
-all new lines if they are 5 years old or older
-ditch the anti-siphon valve. I believe they are only required in an I/O or inboard setup where the inlet to the carb or fuel pump is lower than the top of the tank (or something like that).
-new OEM primer bulb
-10 micron filter

2nd what he said, spend the money get a new tank.

Bullstanky

Reaction score

sfc2113 said:
2nd what he said, spend the money get a new tank.

HA I say, a new tank!?!

After once again going through the motions of replacing all of the lines and ensuring all of the filters were clear, I attempted to drive a coat hanger down the pickup tube to clear it out. As I suspected, it encountered resistance, and I was unable to get it all the way down to the bottom of the tank. Luckily while I was lying down close to the pickup, I noticed that the elbow on top, that for the last five years very much appeared to me to be welded to the tank, was actually threaded to the tube, and it was the tube itself that was welded to the tank. THIS WAS A HUGE BREAKTHROUGH! :lol: :D :p

When I removed the elbow, it revealed a small tube-shaped metal filter that fit inside of the pickup tube--which was gummed up to high heaven with plasticy stuff that wouldn't come off. I just tossed it in the trash and am now expecting my problems to be resolved.

Pictures of the elbow, tube and gummed up filter are below, in case they are of assistance to anyone else with similar problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65987857@N02/7693218328/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65987857@N02/7693221510/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65987857@N02/7693209558/

Bullstanky

Reaction score
[/quote] it appears to be a strainer(screen) to catch sediment in the tank from going into the fuel feed line.[/quote]

Exactly - it's a small screen that fits within the pickup tube that is held in place by the elbow that is threaded onto the top of the pickup tube. I guess the idea was to keep large sediment in the tank so as not to clog fuel filters. Instead of a clogged fuel filter you end up with a clogged screen and have to pull up the deck and remove the fuel pickup lines and elbow to clean it out :bang